The Smith's

The Smith's

August 16, 2009

Make New Friends...but Keep the Old

Last night I finally broke down and decided enough was enough. I was taking some well needed (and deserved) time out for myself, no husband, no kids, just me. I went to a friend's house for a mom's night out of drinks, snacks, games, and loads of laughter. My face still hurts from laughing so hard! The night was full of making fools of ourselves, eating way too much, and drinking chilled alcoholic beverages with no one asking for a sip, taste, or trying to weasle their little sausage fingers into your food for a bite. Yum. It was a dream come true for me, I met with a few familiar faces, and made some new friends along the way. Going out last night was one of the best things I've ever done for myself, I plan on enjoying safe, healthy fun like this more often!

I must admit, I was a bit nervous leaving Laila and Kenadi home, I knew I would be returning shortly, but not until after bedtime. I can count on one hand the number of times I have left either of them with a "sitter" (who just so happens to be my friend, not just some jabroni I hired to make some extra cash) since I decided to stay at home and be a full time mom. I was sure it was a recipe for disaster, but upon my return home, I doubt I could have been more pleased! The girls were both tucked in their beds, safe and sound, the house was still in once piece, and not a single thing out of place. The thanks and appreciation I have for Beth is something I will never be able to put into words.

I never realized how important the people in my life really are to me. I know we all have "family", our God given blood relatives, but I believe that only goes so far. I believe your family are the friends you choose carefully to share your joy and sadness with, good times and hardships, who will undoubtably be there through it all. I hope some of the friends I have made through this journey we call life will become the family I have chosen for myself. If they will take me, I would love to call them my own.

1 comment:

  1. You SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO needed some time off! Don't feel bad at ALL Sweetie! As amazing as you are you're NOT superwomen (no woman is) and don't feel guilty about a time out AT ALL!

    LOVE YA, glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete