The Smith's

The Smith's

August 29, 2011

Happy Birthday, Laila!

Today is Laila's birthday! She turned 6 today, and my heart is feeling so bittersweet! Each day she grows into a more beautiful little girl than I ever imagined! She lights a fire in my heart I never knew existed, she makes me want to be a better person. On the same token, Laila is growing so quickly I can't believe my eyes. There are days she talks to me like she's a grown-up, and I have to remind myself she's just a child, and she needs to enjoy this time!


Since today was a Monday, we decided to play it low key for her birthday and just have a little celebration at home. I let her pick what we had for dinner, and we went to Yogurt Jungle for frozen yogurt for dessert! She chose to have pierogi, a personal favorite of mine, and I spent a good portion of the afternoon making dinner for everyone. Laila ate 3 and was begging for more, but when she remembered frozen yogurt for dessert, she decided to skip out on number 4. 


After dinner, Laila opened her gifts and I managed to take a few pictures, below are my favorites:


Nail polish! Andrea stopped by to give her a gift and have dinner with us,
and Laila was excited to find Andrea spoiled her with new pajamas,
2 bottles of nail polish, and Lip Smackers' chap-stick!

Laila's new denim! Hannah Montana jeans!

Laila's "big sister", Evelien, bought her a Taylor Swift CD!
 Check out her reaction here! 

She was so excited and proud to be a big girl with her own cd!
 Awesome choice to start a collection with!

Disney Princess Friendship Game!

Rock star in the making!!

Laila's cute toy from Dayna! She also received a new
Papparazzi Jewelry headband and ring!!
Any guesses what she'll be wearing to school tomorrow?

Yogurt time! With so many choices to pick from,
 I let Laila get whatever she wanted!
Chocolate, candy, fruit and 3 cherries on top!
Happy birthday!!
When I think of my sweet angel face, this photo always comes to mind:



Just minutes old, helpless and completely dependent on me, she was my everything. She was the only thing that no one could take away, and I loved her unconditionally. To this day, I still love her more than I ever imagined. As I put her to bed tonight, I thanked her for being mine. I let her know how much she means to me, and without her, I don't know where I'd be today. She is my rock, my anchor when I need to be grounded. I think we balance each other out, and even if she's only six, she gets me. She really, truly gets me. Now, as she grows into a beautiful young woman, she's making friends, relationships, and she needs me less and less. It's heartbreaking, but inspiring, I wish I had her courage.


I have never met a soul so brave, so strong and stable, yet so soft, lovely, and compassionate. When I see Laila, I see so much more than her curly hair and cheesy smile, I see a bit of myself in her, too. 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that CD picture, priceless!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY Laila (and Mommy)!

    ReplyDelete