The Smith's

The Smith's

August 28, 2011

How Time Flies

Again, it's been days since I've blogged, and the only excuse I can come up with is this: I'm behind on life. I'm unorganized, I'm busy, and I'm completely, utterly overwhelmed. Each day I wake up thankful that I made it through the one before, and I wonder how in the world I'll make it through another one!


Thankfully, things have been running pretty smoothly at the Smith house. Dustin has been working tons of overtime, I think he calculated 36 hours in the past 2 weeks, so in addition to his original 80 hours, he has put in a total of 116 hours in 2 weeks. Ridiculous, I know. Without him, things wouldn't function the way they do, he really does help the world keep turning.


Since I can never remember anything when I do decide to blog, I'll just type whatever comes to mind and we'll go from there. Tonight was an open house at the dance studio, they have moved to a larger space to accommodate more children, and even started enrolling adult classes as well. Laila and Kenadi are both going to be taking just one class there this fall, the prices are a little on the high side, and though I'm sure we could afford it, I don't feel comfortable making that type of commitment. As we were leaving, her cheer instructor from the summer stopped us and asked to speak with me. She told me she resigned from the dance studio and would be teaching cheer through one of the local charter schools. I wasn't entirely sure what to think and she pulled Laila aside and explained she wanted to have her on her cheer squad. I let her know the prices were high, and she assured me the prices are much lower since it's an after school activity. I questioned why she wanted Laila so bad, and she said in her experience, she's never seen a girl with talent like Laila, and my sweet baby doesn't even realize it. So, I agreed to be a "cheer mom" to help forward e-mails and make follow up calls and such, and Laila should be able to take cheer for free! What a blessing in disguise.


Laila has been signed up to be a daisy in Girl Scouts, she's excited! I even considered being a troop leader, I have to decide how much of myself and my time I'm able to donate. I want Laila to have the best experience she can, and I want more than anything to be a part of it, but I don't want to bring down any other children if I can't give all of myself to them every meeting. I will have to decide as the time draws closer and find out more about the troop sizes and meeting times. Just one more thing to add to my busy life!


Dustin Jr, boy does he need a whoopin'! He's walking all over this house, emptying my cabinets, splashing in the toilet, and raising hell. I should have known any child named after my husband would be a little heart-breaker, he's got all the ladies wrapped around his little finger! I took the kids to a party tonight at my friend Bobbi-Jo's house and everyone was just gushing about his gorgeous blue eyes and his light blonde hair. What a little ham. He's sleeping 11-12 hours at night, and has decided it's time to move to one nap instead of two. This past week has been quite an adjustment period, I was so used to two naps a day, but he does sleep a solid 2.5-3 hours, so it's just taking some getting used to.


Little Miss Kenadi is blossoming into quite the dancer! At the open house today she kicked off her shoes, found a tu-tu, and went to town! She met her new teacher and we found out her classes are Saturday mornings. She's doing exceptionally well with the ballet aspect of dance, she loves twirling, pointing her toes, and tumbling on the mats. I can't wait to see her up on stage performing in the spring! I was nervous about keeping her out of preschool this fall, but I think I made the right choice for her. She's getting to be more independent with Laila at school, and her relationship with Dustin Jr. is growing every day, it's really a beautiful thing.


Last night, Evelien went to a football game at her high school! It was so wonderful to see her get dressed up and go out with her new friend, Rebecka! Rebecka is an exchange student from Sweden, and she's really a sweet girl. They seem to get along very well, and had a fun time. After the game was a school dance the girls attended, I had the pleasure of picking them up at 11pm! As soon as they climbed into my van all I could smell was sweaty teenager, and I thought I was going to gag. I take advantage how wonderful she smells and all the perfumes she uses, I can only imagine in 15 years when I'm picking my son up from football practice and that's the lovely aroma that fills my car. Yuck. School seems to be going well, Evelien has made a few friends and has plans for tomorrow, too. A local teacher at her high school is from Belgium and is also hosting an exchange student, she's hosting a barbecue and pool party, and both Evelien and Rebecka are going.  


The past month with Evelien here has been so much fun, I never dreamed I would enjoy being a host family as much as I am enjoying it now. Friendships take time to grow, mature, and bloom, and that's to be expected. I love when you wake up one day and realize you've let someone into your life, they've become a part of you and the things you love, it's inspiring. Last week, Evelien went to a game night with her friends, and a few friends came here to hang out with me. After everyone went home, Evelien and I sat around and chatted a bit. We bake together, cook together, and just enjoy each other's company. That night, for some reason, I could feel our bond sealing, it was just a neat experience. I hope when she leaves here, she takes with her the fond memories I will long cherish of her. I can't wait to share the rest of the school year with her, she's one amazing girl, I'm lucky to have her. 


I hope to be on a more structured schedule soon, and back to blogging. I haven't read a book in months, I can't remember the last time I slept in, and the laundry is going to bury me alive, I'm sure of it-but I'm happy. I love this crazy life of mine, and if you're in it, I love you, too. 

1 comment:

  1. Seriously you should re-name your blog to "Adventures of Wonder Mom!" You amaze me girl. I'm so glad you're able to get those sweet little girls into dance and that they have really developed in that area, just remember you don't have to do EVERYTHING! I'm really glad things are working out well with Evelien!

    YOU GO GIRL!!

    ReplyDelete