The Smith's

The Smith's

June 22, 2012

A Dream Day


Though miles may lie between us, we're never far apart, for friendship doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart. 

Living in Arizona has it's perks, and it also has it's downfalls. Most days. being so far away from my family doesn't get to me, but when I hear a funny joke or have something exciting to share, a phone call or a text message just doesn't always cut it. Loneliness creeps in, settles deep in the pit of my stomach, and my heart begins to ache for those I truly miss.

During the recent years that have passed, a few relationships in my life seem to have grown, blossomed into something beautiful. Two special people hold a big piece of my heart, and the miles between us make my heart grow fonder of the memories we make each time we're reunited. Brandi-Lyn and Tami are not just my nieces, but two of my closest confidants and best friends.

I can't recall exactly why, or when, but one day I woke up thinking of Brandi. With a smile, I relished in how much better my life has become now that she's a permanent part of it. Family doesn't always mean you're close to someone; honestly, I'd admit to having a stronger bond with a select few of my friends than I do most of my blood relatives. Family does mean you're connected for life, and what you choose to do with that connection is entirely up to you. I'm glad one day Brandi picked up the phone an called me on her way home from work, we wouldn't be where we are today if she hadn't.

Picking up where we left off, filling in the bits and pieces along the way-those are my favorite things about my relationship with Tami. There was a time when people thought Tami and I were sisters, we were so close, almost inseparable. Braving the halls of Lakeshore High School together can make or break a friendship, and through our trials and struggles, we grew closer than ever. Years later, I know no matter how many miles separate us, how long it's been since we've last talked, she'll always be there when I need her

To be with two people who know me so completely, and accept me for every fault I've ever done, it takes my breath away. Where I'm going and where I've been are reflected in the relationships I hold with these to inspirational women. With Brandi, I think of the person I want to be. Strong, beautiful, independent, and spontaneous, she takes chances, says what she feels, and learns from her experiences. Tami reminds me of myself, who I am and who I used to be. I've grown with Tami in such a way she can read my thoughts by just looking at me from across the room. We have the same laugh, the same color hair, and the hours we've spent together are countless. 

During my visit home, I was able to visit with both Brandi and Tami, miraculously, at the same time. The stars aligned just right and the three of us, along with our children, managed a lunch together and an afternoon at the beach. To say it was one of my dreams come true just doesn't do justice to the love and happiness I felt in my heart that day. 

Snapping photographs, reminiscing about the old days, and promising to visit again soon, the friendships between us are as good as anyone else's. I can recall the laughter, the comfortable silence, the hugs and teh smiles passed between us, and I'm reminded we're closer than friends: we're family. Breathing in the fresh air, spreading out a blanket in the sand, and creating memories only our hearts can capture, our bond is one no one can break.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you wrote this. Now with tears in my eyes I will try to make my comment! LOL

    It's a damn shame that no one else takes the time to get to know you, but rather sit and judge you from afar, based solely on opinions of others that hold no merit. O-well for them. My life is better because you're in it.

    That day, 6/6/12, will just be another day I lock away for myself. A memory to call upon when I am down, or when I want a genuine smile, or to remember what it's like to be so in-love with healthy, happy relationships.

    I wouldn't trade what we have for gajillions of dollars. You can't put a price on us, baby. I love you, and I love that day, and I love your memory of it.

    oxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete