The Smith's

The Smith's

September 30, 2010

Santa Rosa

Yesterday was the end of Laila's first full week at Santa Rosa Elementary, and I couldn't be a happier mom! She is doing so well there, and after the first day everyone knew her name. She's got such a bright smile, it's infectious. She walked right in on her first day and made such a great impression, even teachers she doesn't have know her.

The school she was previously going to, Sequoia Pathway, was giving me such a hard time about having someone trained to help with her insulin shots. I was getting frustrated and beginning to feel defeated. I tried meeting with the principal, Laila's teacher, office staff, and I even communicated with someone at the American Diabetes Association. I printed off copies of the laws and went in armed and dangerous. They kept beating around the bush, giving me excuse after excuse, and that just wasn't cutting it. The day came that I dreaded, Laila came home from school with a low blood sugar, she was shaking so bad she couldn't even test her own sugar levels, and no one called me. In addition to having to drive up to the school each day to check her sugar and administer her insulin, I also drop her off and pick her up each morning. When I got her home that day and her sugar was 68, I was furious. Her target is 150, she was so low she was feeling dizzy and looking pale. It's pretty obvious your blood sugar doesn't drop that low in a 5 minute car ride home, which leads me to believe no one paid any attention to her or her behavior for a solid few hours after lunchtime.

That very next day I set out to change things, Laila is too young to fight for herself and her rights, which left a big weight on my shoulders. Dustin and I do everything in our power to ensure our children have every opportunity possible, and we will stop at nothing to ensure they are in the best situation for them. I went to the Maricopa Unified School District office and met with the assistant superintendent, and within a few short hours I received a phone call from the head of health care for MUSD. Within minutes of that phone call, I had a meeting set up with her, the principal of the school, the RN at the school, and Laila's new teacher. I couldn't believe it, part of me wishes I had done that weeks ago.


Laila ready for her first day at her new school!

The meeting went so smoothly, I could hardly believe my ears! If you have ever seen the movie "As Good As It Gets" with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt, you might just know what I mean. There is a scene when Helen Hunt shows up at home and there's a doctor there, he orders tests for her son and says he'll have them back the next day. She's in tears, she just can't believe after jumping through so many hoops and bending over backwards for her son, thing could really just be that easy. I, myself, was in tears hearing how well they would be taking care of her. She was able to start the very next day, and they welcomed her with open arms. The first few days I was still a little nervous, so I drove up to her school around lunch time to check in on her, but now I have to beg her for a kiss before she leaves and the thought of visiting her is unheard of! The RN is amazing, she sends home her sugar and carb count each day and does such a good job helping her to learn and understand. Everyone truly has her best interest in mind, and a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

It's hard to believe how quickly my prayers have been answered. When you put your problems in the right hands, you can never go wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Joli, I saw a glimpse of this blog post the other day but had been too busy to read it sooner but it lingered in the back of my head so I just HAD to read it when I got home tonight. I am SO happy things have made an amazing improvement for Ms Laila! She is a strong girl who has great parents who love her. Really a relief to hear she's doing great at her new school!

    YAY!! Go Ms Laila!!!

    ReplyDelete