The Smith's

The Smith's

August 07, 2010

Myelomeningocele

Myelomeningocele.


The word that could have changed my life forever.


As perfect as my son may seem, he has a dimple in his lower back at the end of his spinal cord. The pediatrician was examining him and point out this "defect" to me, and I thought my world was coming to an end. Myelomeningocele is the proper term for the condition spina bifida. How could this have happened to my son, it most certainly must have been my fault. Myelomeningocele may affect as many as 1 out of every 800 infants, how could it have affected mine? After the scare with his heart, the low fluid levels, what else could possibly go wrong?

I decided researching it was not the best idea, I knew it would send me into a frenzy, so I allowed myself to think, rest, and pray. I looked on google for photos, just to see what to expect, and to my surprise, Dustin Jr's dimple was nothing like anything I found. I met with the pediatrician again to talk about it in further detail, and he helped to put my fears at ease. The dimple is closed inside, and the reactions he has in his legs and feet are a sure sign nothing is wrong. Aside from the dimple, the doctor said he sees no other reason to worry. At risk of embarrassing anyone, I explained Dustin Jr. may not be the only one with the dimple, and I was please to hear it might possibly be genetic.

We made our first trip to the family doctor this week for Dustin Jr's first check-up, and the doctor said there is nothing to do but wait. She said he's too small for an MRI, though it may be ordered as he grows a little. She also said, as the pediatrician did, he has great movement and feeling in his legs and feet, and she's sure he will be just fine.

So, he is perfect. Perfect to me and perfect for our family. After all, he is my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment