The Smith's

The Smith's

October 17, 2010

10.10.10

On October 10, 2010, I was so lucky to be able to enjoy my brother Mark's wedding. It was such a short and sweet ceremony, and I believe with all my heart it fit their personalities exactly, and I am so very happy for them.

I must admit, at first, I was skeptical. I am very protective of my family, especilly those I grew up with and share a special bond with. Mark is one of those few in my inner circle, one of which no one will ever be good enough for by my standards. I knew it was going to take a bit of convincing to change my mind.

For years, I have visited my brother and seen his life as his relationship with Jeanie has grown. I have watched him change and become someone I thought I didn't know anymore, and as time went on I grew more and more nervous. After living with friends for many years, Mark finally decided to move in with Jeanie, and for the life of me, I couldn't understand why. Two people, so set in their ways, no desire for marriage, children, just company, it didn't make sense. I asked them both, separetely and together, if they are happy and this is the life they love. They both admitted they wouldn't change a thing, but something was still unsettled.

Sunday morning, the day of the wedding, I think I had more "wedding day jitters" than the bride and groom combined. I knew my opinion had to be voiced, now or never, so on a mission I went. I found Jeanie, and when I opened her bedroom door, I was speechless. I saw the glow, the aura I'd been waiting years to finally catch a glimpse of. She only made it better by whispering, "Thank you," in my ear as she hugged me. I asked her what I already knew was true, was she happy? Obviously, as expected, she affirmed she was. But the way she said it, the look in her eyes, that's what finally set me at ease.

I'm not sure who cried first, but I know we both walked away teary eyed. I went and found my seat and waited for her grand entrance. Once the music started, and I saw her on her way, I turned my attention away from the bride, and onto the groom. It was now or never, and I needed to see the truth for myself. I've questioned from day one if he was as happy as he claimed, if he loved her as much as he said, and then it happened. As soon as Jeanie came around the corner, their eyes met, and I saw the smile and gratification on my brother's face. My heart started pounding so fast, I'm suprised everyone at the wedding didn't hear it. It was one of the most remarkable moments, and I'll never be able to thank them enough for letting me be a part of it.

It's such a comfortable feeling, knowing there is someone else out ther just as in love as you are. Just knowing they will hold hands at breakfast while they kiss each other good morning, and again as they wish each other sweet dreams each and every night, it's breathtaking.




Congratulations, Mark and Jeanie. I love you, both.

1 comment: