The Smith's

The Smith's

October 29, 2010

Silence is Golden

Today, after Dustin's surprise was over, he needed to run to Chipotle and pick up his lunch. Luckily, I had the opportunity to spend a few more minutes with him, and he rode with us. On the way there, we turned off the music, and the kids were relatively quiet. We held hands and didn't say a word.

Growing up, I remember hearing my parents tell me to be quiet, enjoy the silence. Then, the silence felt like it needed to be filled. Chatter, music, even a fan, anything to keep the quiet away. After my mom died, the silence used to pound in my ears, it was so loud it was deafening at times. I recall wearing headphones to bed and sleeping with the tv on, something I still do now.

Today, things felt so much different. I had nothing to run from, nothing to hide away or keep a secret. The silence held all the words no one needed to say. It was full of love, trust, and everything I've always wanted, it was full of us.

1 comment:

  1. Hey..this one made me cry. You are such a beautiful family. It's not that common to be able to find all that you found in that silence. Hang on to it. Cherish it and protect it. Noursih it, and you will have it forever. I love you!

    ReplyDelete