The Smith's

The Smith's

June 23, 2011

My Dreams

I have decided, after much pushing from my husband, to start a little "business" on the side. I wasn't sure I had a leg to even stand on while I was typing up my offerings, but here I am, not even 3 full days later, with orders in my hands and over 60 fans on my page. It's really happening, my dreams are coming true, I'm baking and loving it! I'm officially running "Sweet Eats" by Joli and it couldn't be more wonderful!

Dustin and I have always been frugal, but you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip- if it's not there, it's not there. As of late, with Laila's supplies and quarterly doctor visits, the trips to Phoenix, and a hungry family, the money seems to be stretching even farther than usual. I tossed around the idea of working even part time or babysitting, but nothing sounded worth the time and effort. He's told me many, many times in the past to start a baking business. Nothing big, just a few things here and it'll take off like lightning. I'm no pastry chef, but I am a mom, and I know how important it is to provide homemade goodness to my babies.

I was so concerned with the costs of starting something like this, I know it's so early on I can't charge much, and I won't be making much of a profit over the cost, but my name will be out there, and that's what counts. My ultimate dream, one day, is to have a storefront filled with delicious goodness! I hope to one day have shiny counters and sparkling glass cases, employees in cute pink aprons and pink ribbons on every chair. I have countless visions in my head of my dreams, but we all have to start somewhere. Lucky for me, somewhere is in my own kitchen. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it-it's going to be a bumpy ride!

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you! You are an awesome baker so I have no doubt you will go far- Making a dream a reality can be scary but you are doing it and taking the first steps toward making it all come true! :) I will be placing an order soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL! Way to do what you LOVE to help out! You're such a wonderful Mom...I'm gonna have to get down there sometime to try those tasty treats (unless you and the kiddos wanna vaca to Utah and you can bring some to me)!

    ReplyDelete