The Smith's

The Smith's

June 06, 2011

Routine

I must say, there are days I'm so "routine" I want to choke myself. I probably would, if not for my kids. They truly benefit from the structure, and it shows.

Laila's diabetes has placed a strain on things, no doubt, but it's also brought the timing to a more strict level when it comes to meal times. Before, I'd let the kid snack and push of dinner if I knew Dustin was on his way, or if one child was sleeping the other could eat without having to wait. Now, we do everything together, and I think they will have a stronger relationship because of it. Never does a night go by that we don't sit down together for dinner, whether Dustin is working or not. If he's absent, the girls and I sit together and enjoy our meal, whether it's a gourmet meal or just take-out from Little Caesar's.

I don't mean to brag, but night time is the best around the Smith house! The girls are in bed and asleep before 9pm every night, and we no longer have issues with resistance from any of the kids. They all fall asleep on their own, and in their own beds. During the summer, they all sleep until at least 8am, if not later! That means a happy mommy. When the kids sleep in, I get to sleep in, and that makes things better all around. The girls are allowed minimal television, so they are excited to watch one show in the morning while I make breakfast. They usually watch a show in the afternoon around lunch time, and it's a treat if the tv is on at all the rest of the day!

Bath time is a breeze as well, having a specific way of doing things makes everything go so much smoother. Laila's old enough to shower and bathe herself, and Kenadi, if I needed her to, but most of the time I just enjoy spending time with them playing in the bubbles and giving them crazy soap hair-do's. They're usually really good for bath time, and Lil D even gets a chance to play with them sometimes, too.

I attribute my love of structure to my lifestyle growing up. I remember sleeping in, and plenty! But I also remember getting up every day for school, having meals at the same time each day, and bath and bedtime followed without a hitch each night. My mom and dad took the time to explain why it was important to get enough sleep, and to eat right. Now, I hope I'm instilling these same things into my own children. One day, when they grow up, I hope they thank me for a healthy, happy childhood. This is really what being a mom is all about.

1 comment:

  1. YEAH for good days at the Smith home! I am SO glad to hear bedtimes are going easier for you and YEAH for eating together. It really does a LOT to be able to sit down and eat a meal together, you guys will grow so much!

    GO JOLI! Look at you all rockin Momma-hood!!!

    ReplyDelete