The Smith's

The Smith's

January 19, 2010

Labor of Love

As I start in my new journey of cooking, baking, and blogging, today I have decided to play it safe. The time is 12:04pm. 12-04, my sister's birthday...and the day my mom died. How could I not start this amazing adventure with her in mind, as a friend, a mom, a mentor, and an inspiration. Not that I ever saw my mom take out a cookbook, or even a recipe, but if you knew her, you knew she could cook.

I have a new friend in the kitchen, my KitchenAid mixer. I put it to the test today, and emerged with a smile. I have decided as my first dish, I would not make something new, but something I have yet to get just right. Pierogi. This is, hands down, one of my absoulte favorite dishes my mom made. I remember the days when she used to make them. She would make enough to feed our family, no matter who was at the table, and there always seemed to be plenty. Today, I started another batch of the tasty dough, and wondered how on earth she did it. By my calculations, to feed everyone-and believe me, I ate my fair share-she would have had to make 3-4 batches of dough, roll them, stuff them, boil them, chill them, and fry them. No wonder it took her all day! I am exhausted just thinking about the work she put in.

As I mix the dough and prepare to fill them with the only filling I see fit (plum, of course), I giggle to myself as I know my own daughters will be delighted to see their mom has taken the time to prepare one of their favorite dishes...pierogi. I will pick Laila up from school, letting her know in the car I have a surprise waiting for her at home. She'll beg me the entire way home to tell her, and when she walks in and smells the frying pan sizzling with butter, she'll know. Mommy made pierogi! She'll squeel and hug me, maybe tell me I'm the best mommy ever, and I'll feel the greatest reward of all, the love she has for me. I know now, why my mom went through all the trouble, all the tiring labor and backache, all the time spent in the kitchen and away from the beautiful day outside. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. It's a labor, alright, it's a labor of love.




*Just in case you need to do a little extra reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! that looks so good. i prefer potato and onions in mine...but looks good. i have never attempted it...i think maybe someday i will! xoxooxox

    ReplyDelete