The Smith's

The Smith's

December 10, 2010

Laundry

Yesterday I washed laundry, which I do almost every single day, and today, I had to fold it all. Let me just say this, when I agreed to have children and start a family, I never thought about the amount of work that goes into things I took for granted as a kid! Growing up, my mom did all the laundry, and I swear I never saw her folding it or putting it away! Maybe that's why it never crossed my mind the amount of time I would spend on it when I got older.

When we first moved in together and I was doing all the laundry, Dustin and I only had the apartment washer and dryer to use, so we waited as long as possible to rip through a roll of quarters. I could easily go one to two weeks without washing anything, and never think twice. Now, I do laundry at least 3-4 days a week, sometimes every day! Sundays are the worst, having to wash sheets and blankets for 4 beds, then put them back together again! My back sure doesn't thank me for that on Monday mornings. With the girls sharing a hamper, it fills up fast. Even though they both have closets and drawers full of clothes, Laila's uniforms need to be washed each week for school and she has her favorite shirts she likes to have clean. I wonder if my being so neurotic will ever pay off, my children wear 2 pair of underwear a day-one new pair for during the day and then another new pair after bathtime. Back to where I began, I washed the girls' laundry yesterday, and when I folded it today, this is what I counted: 16 pair of underwear, 4 uniform shirts, 8 pair of pajamas, 5 pair of socks, 11 pair of pants, 4 under shirts, 7 regular shirts, and a few sweatshirts. Seriously, in just a few days 2 little girls can produce that much laundry? I have no idea what I'm in for when they become teenagers!!

Don't even get me started on towels, and how fast I go through those in this house! With everyone showering at least once a day, and never reusing a towel, I easily find myself washing them every other day! We use them so frequently there have even been times where they get used before they ever get folded and into the linen closet! I wonder how in the world other moms out there keep it together! Finding time for laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, and acting like a shuttle service, therapist, doctor and more. Whew, I'm tired just thinking about it!

Now that I've exhausted myself just considering the work I have ahead of me for today, I may just go take a nap.

1 comment:

  1. I HEAR YA! I just had a conversation with my husband about how hard it is to keep up with daily chores, when do I have time to do "fun" things for me (like scrapbooking)??? Maybe when I put my laundry in the wash I can ;)

    ReplyDelete