The Smith's

The Smith's

December 30, 2010

New Years Resolution

It's that time of year again, when everyone stars making their infamous resolutions for the new year. According to wikipedia, the most common include losing weight, taking a trip, improving career and get out of debt. I wanted to make sure I had it right, so I looked up the definition as well. A New Year's resolution is a commitment to a personal goal that an individual makes to a project or the reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous.

So, I've been doing some thinking and trying to decide what mine should be. Sure, I could lose a few pounds, and I plan to. But is that really something I should resolve to do, put myself in a position to fail if I don't complete it according to the standards I set? As statistics show, a mere 12% of people actually complete these resolutions, and though I'd like to think I'll be one of the few, who really knows. Maybe I should donate more to the poor. Not to sound daft or even selfish, but I'd like to be sure my own children have a roof over their heads and food on the table before I can consider helping to provide for others. How about something like read a book every month, something worth my time and educational? Now, who am I kidding, with 3 kids, I can hardly read a magazine while I'm using the restroom these days.

Just when I think I've got the perfect idea, it fizzles out as quickly as it came about. I can't seem to make up my mind to save my life, or even to choose a New Year's Resolution. Maybe that's the answer I've been looking for all along, or the resolution, rather. Be more decisive. That sounds like a good place to start. See, I'm making strides in the right direction already.

No comments:

Post a Comment