The Smith's

The Smith's

February 25, 2012

Finger Painting

I had scheduled no plans for today so we would have a day to catch-up on spending time together. Dustin has to work all morning and afternoon, so the kids and I have had all day to bake, play, and enjoy each other's company. I've decided I want to be more "crafty", making things from household items; teaching the kids not everything comes in a can or cardboard box from the store has always been important to me, even if I'm not very good at it.

Today, I finally had enough gumption to make "finger paint" from household ingredients, I know the ones at the store say "non-toxic", but I also know my kids have the inability to keep their hands out of their mouths (namely, Kenadi) and I didn't feel comfortable buying something I knew I could make and control the ingredients in. I found a site online with a few animal suggestions for using your hands and feet, so I let the kids choose their favorites and let it rip! The girls had a blast, they each made three or four pictures, and once they're dry and the eyes are drawn in, their masterpieces will hang, framed, down the hallway toward their bedroom.

Laila's peacock

Laila's crab

Kenadi's crab

Kenadi's apple tree

Little D's prints
These are unfinished, and unframed. Once they're completed and hanging on the wall, I'll post an updated photo. Today was a good day, I'm pleased to say. It's not often I feel like I'm not in over my head. The laundry is still staring at me from across the room, there are dishes waiting to be unloaded, and honestly, I don't care. I know it'll be there tomorrow, but today won't be. Memories like this will last a lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! I'll have to do it this summertime sometime when I can do it outside and the mess doesn't really matter!

    ReplyDelete