The Smith's

The Smith's

February 07, 2012

My Fridge Overfloweth

Yesterday, I went grocery shopping. I try and plan my trips around the meat packs I've been getting, and it seems to save me quite a bit of money! If you're unfamiliar with the meat packs, they are nothing short of amazing. For $50, you get anywhere from 2-4 boxes of meat, produce, dairy, ect. from the local grocery stores, composed of items that are at their "sell by" date, items that are smashed or just didn't sell. I have been getting them for a few months and have cut my grocery bill down by over $100 a month! I've been couponing and saving quite a bit of money that way, but this is even better! I love the variety, and how it's different each time.

I received a pretty awesome meat pack last week-3 crates-and was heading to the store with a list, coupons, and a meal plan, ready to go! I feel such a rush at the checkout counter, watching the bags fill my cart, knowing those same things will soon be in my fridge ant pantry at home. There's something about seeing the refrigerator full that makes me feel good. It's similar to having good toilet paper. When all else in the world is bad, at least you have good toilet paper. When things stress me out, if I'm busy, sad, happy, whatever, at least my fridge is full of good things to feed my family.

I remember growing up and never having to wonder where my next meal was going to come from. I may not have liked everything my mom made, but we always ate good. She had a way of taking the simplest things and turning them into a meal that was always plenty. I feel like now, as a mom, it's my responsibility to do the same, to always have something to "throw together" to make a healthy, filling meal for my family. I feel satisfaction when I open my fridge and see lots of options. To me, it means I've made the money my husband works so hard for stretch as far as possible. It means I've done my job, and I've done it to the best of my ability. Laila always asks why our fridge is so full, and if it starts to get low, I can see in her eyes she wonders why the food hasn't magically replenished itself, or why I haven't been to the store. She starts grocery lists for me when she sees me open the last gallon of milk, or when the last banana peel hits the trash.

It's funny, almost, how as I get older, my priorities change. The things that are important to me now are things I hardly gave a second thought to when I was younger. I've now turned into the parent, instead of the child, and these things have changed. With little guidance, I have created my own path and plan to stick to it, and hope my children will thank me for it one day as I thank my mom for what I remember of her now.

1 comment:

  1. You see? It's posts like this that only reaffirm how wonderful a mother you are. I am going to have to inquire to my local grocery store about meat packs. :)

    ReplyDelete