The Smith's

The Smith's

February 12, 2012

Happiness and Sympathy

Months ago, Dustin was telling me about one of his co-workers and their struggles to have a baby. After many tries of infertility drug treatments and endless heartbreak, they began the process of becoming foster parents. Our heart has gone out to them through the process of trial and error, we couldn't imagine being told we couldn't have children.

It seemed like just days went by after Dustin told me they had applied to be foster parents when he received a photo message on his phone: it was a picture of a 6 day old baby boy-they received him that day! How exciting We were just chatting about how exhausting it is to have a new baby, how much we miss that new baby smell, and how important every milestone is, from birth to each new today. Then, what he said, he rocked my very world. I'm not sure if he was thinking out loud, or really talking to me, but the end result was the same. I fell in love with him all over again, puppy love, like I just learned we like the same type of ice cream.

Dustin has always been very involved with the kids, starting with each pregnancy. He's had a special bond with them before they even made their grand appearance, and this is what he was reflecting on. This baby, this 6 day old baby, just showed up in his coworker's life. She didn't have a pregnancy, the time to bond, prepare, carefully select each outfit, blanket, and wall decal. Neither did her husband: this is what made Dustin sad. The sympathy was pouring out in his voice over the thought of never having that irreplaceable bond, and I just melted.

I'm so thrilled for his coworker, this is a dream come true. They will make their own memories, each and every day, creating bonds that can't be broken. My heart is overflowing, I hope this baby becomes a permanent fixture in their family. I pray one day their walls will be covered in family photos, their backseat will be stained from popsicles and juice boxes, and they will be able to call him their son.

2 comments:

  1. Wait...what did he say? Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. You have a winner there Joli! Hope that family develops a beautiful bond and one that won't be broken. Fostering can be hard, I don't think I could do it...amazing.

    ReplyDelete