The Smith's

The Smith's

May 20, 2010

Last Day of Preschool


When I was pregnant with Laila, I knew it was the start of something great. I had high hopes, and even higher expectations. She was going to break the mold, I just knew it. What I didn't know then, was how hard it would be for me to watch. Every day between now and then she has grown, something I didn't think about then, and I'm fully unprepared for.

Today marks the very last day Laila will attend preschool. Her graduation is Saturday, May 22, and I'm a nervous wreck. She's far beyond ready for kindergarten, I could have enrolled her last year if she were old enough and she would have done fine, but her age didn't permit. Now she's old enough, and she will start school in the fall. If you ask me, I don't know how this happened, where the time has gone, or how to get it to slow down.

As I sit here, I think of all the "firsts" we've been through together, her first step, word, hair-cut, friend, move...and her first day of school. Now we've reached another set of firsts, or lasts, depending on how you look at it. Today was her last day of preschool, but her first step toward becoming the woman I have always dreamed for her to be. She may be finished with preschool, but we will have a new first right around the corner, her first day of kindergarten is just months away.

To say I'm proud of her would be an understatement, she's done amazing in everything she's tried. She's truly set an example for her sister, and soon, her brother too. She's learned so much in such a short period of time, she's not even 5, and she's a great teacher as well. In my book, she's truly broken the mold.



No comments:

Post a Comment