The Smith's

The Smith's

May 10, 2010

What a Week!

This past week my dad has been here. It's been a crazy week, we've been so busy I haven't had time to blog and catch up on everything we did! It had its up's and down's, but we made it through. I am sad to see him leave today, but relieved at the same time. Things will slowly go back to normal and we can prepare for our new arrival, just 11 weeks away!


Monday my dad arrived and I was extremly sick, so we waited to do anything until I felt better. He did sit and read to the girls, something he's done almost non stop since he got here! Laila has a reading chart for school, she is required to read at least 3 days a week, I think she's had my dad read to her 3 times a day every day this week! It was sweet watching the girls listen to some of my favorite storeies when I was little. On Tuesday, Laila had school and we went and enjoyed lunch and some playtime at McDonalds. No photos to show from that, but I'm sure you have all seen the inside of a McDonalds playplace.


Wednesday, we went to the Phoenix Zoo! What a blast we had! We saw some of our favorite animals, and despite the heat, still had a wonderful time! The splash pads were both closed, there were a few schools touring the zoo so they had them roped off, but we made the best of it anyway. The girls loved looking at all the animals, and I managed to survive the heat! Kenadi had her first ride on the carousel, and she screamed when it was time to get off!

Since the splash pads were closed we pulled the little pool out for the girls to play in once we got home. They squealed and laughed so hard, who would have thought a $10 investement would bring them such joy! Apply a little sun screen, throw a couple empty water bottles in there and you've got it made! They spent a good hour in the sun, and Laila has asked to play in the pool every day since! Since they didn't get sunburned in the pool, we decided to take a walk down to the park before it got too dark out to play. Laila's now riding her big girl bike with training wheels, it took her an entire year after we bought it for her to be able to peddle it, I guess we got the wrong size! Anyway, she rode her bike down to the park while I pushed Kenadi in the stroller and my dad and I chatted. The park down the street from us has a huge open field, so we let the girls run around and play, it was nice and relaxing. Thankfully the heat was below 90 degrees and none of us felt like we would die of heat stroke by the time we made it halfway down the block!

Thursday Laila had school again, and Dustin had to work, so my dad, the girls and I all went out to dinner at Applebees. It was nice to have a night off from cooking and to spend some time with my dad and the girls. We had a gift card so even after ordering a meal for each of us (one for the girls to share), a beer for my dad, and appetizer for me, it only cost us $20 cash! Tip included! It was a nice dinner, and the girls were so well behaved, I didn't even put Kenadi in a high chair!

Friday morning we got up bright and early and headed to the AZ Science Center. There must have been 10 school busses there, and the kids were shoving past us to get in the door. I should have taken that into consideration before we went in, but I figured we'd brave the crowd and see what all the hype was about. Unfortunately, it turned out to be so packed it was almost elbow to elbow at every exhibit on every floor. There really wasn't much for the kids to do, it's aimed at older, school aged kids, but now we know. There was one exhibit that was really neat, if you look closely, you can spot my dad. It was a big platform and it took you through the weather changes over the United States, rain, earthquakes, heat-poork Kenadi didn't care for the earthquake too much, but it was all in good fun and learning. We did have a nice time, and the drive to Phoenix wasn't as bad as I remember. Maybe it was the company.

Saturday we had a cookout with a bunch of our friends. It was a really nice time, there was plenty of food and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. The kids all played and had fun, it was really nice to get to see everyone and to let everyone really get to mingle. It's tough with Dustin working midnights for him to get to meet other dads, so it was nice to have him home for a change. Sunday, Mother's Day, was just another day. I did receive my very first gift that I didn't have a part in helping to make! Laila's preschool helped all the kids make two gifts for their moms, and she was sweet enough to keep them hidden for me so they were really a surprise! It was enough to make me cry, pregnant or not. I was really missing my mom yesterday, so I spent the day cooking and baking to remember her. I made pierogi for lunch, and we had kolachky for dessert. The two hours I spent baking them last night must have been worth it, there are maybe a dozen left! They never taste as good as I remember hers tasting, but it's still nice to remember her that way.

Today, my dad went home. It was bittersweet, as always. I love having him here, but this house is a bit tight when you add another adult. I always feel like when he's here I have to completely change my routine around and it always seems to take a few days to get back on track, but we always have such great memories that it seems worth it. Today after Kenadi woke up form her nap she wandered around calling out, "Pa-Pa?", it breaks my heart. The girls get so attached to quickly, it seems like his stay is never long enough. However, my life is what it is now, with my husband and children, and adding grandpa into the mix sometimes makes it a bit tense. I love my dad to pieces, and I'm so fortunate to have him in our lives. I thank him every day for all he does for us. He is now home safe, and we are doing our best to get back to the daily grind. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment