The Smith's

The Smith's

July 20, 2011

Brandi's Visit

This past week has flown by me in such a whirlwind, I don't even know where to begin. Between cranking out cake balls by the dozen to laughing until I was in pain, I had the time of my life.

My niece, Brandi-Lyn, came to visit me this past week. After what seemed like a lifetime of let-downs, her trip was finally booked! A month of waiting and the day finally came! She was here and I could hardly believe it. I wish I could share the moments with everyone, but I consider myself pretty selfish. The smiles, laughter, food, movies, and memories we shared were special, and I consider myself privildged to have shared them with her.

Years ago, I never dreamed of having the relationship with her that I have now. I don't consider those years time missed, wasted, or lost; I consider this time now as special. It can only grow, prosper in itself, and make me a better person. I feel comfortable with her in a way I haven't felt comfortable with another person in a long time. My secrets are not judged, my life is my life, and she's nothing but proud of what I have to show for myself.

There's no secret when it comes to my family's feelings about me. Jealousy, anger, rage, and distrust to name a few. So how is Brandi so different? She's none of those things-she's trustworthy, genuine, wholesome, and fun. She's happy for me, she's proud of who I am and she's taken the time to get to know me, and loves me for me. At my worst, she's still one of my biggest fans. She's incredible. This past week, I feel as though our relationship blossomed even more, and through the joy she brings out in me, my friendships with others have grown, too. Talking things out, just hearing myself say the things I've been too scared to ever admit to myself, opened doors I never knew were closed, cleared windows I never saw to be dusty, and casted a light into my soul.

I still refuse to disclose the information of our week, it was so happy and fun. Maybe one day, but not today. However, I will leave you with this...

Not my chair, not my problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment