The Smith's

The Smith's

July 31, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dustin Jr!

Today is my son's birthday. It's so hard to believe another year has flown past me. Time seems to go by faster each year, it's amazing watching Dustin Jr. as he learns and grows, and becomes such an important asset to this family.


This morning, I took a minute to stand in the kitchen and just watch my family. I learned back against the sink and sipped my Coca-Cola and listened to my kids laughing and playing, and my heart was just bursting with love for them. It seems as though the pieces are coming together and locking into place. I wonder sometimes how I have been so fortunate to have such an amazing family, a house to call a home, and such love to hold the pieces in place.


One year ago, when my son was born, I had no idea the trials and tribulations we would have to overcome, but with each other, we've surpassed them all. Weighing in at 7 lb 9oz with blue eyes and peach fuzz hair, my son seemed perfect. He passed all screening tests with flying colors, and smelled like heaven. Never did I dream something could be wrong, but when the pediatrician walked in with a strange look on his face, I knew he wasn't as perfect a I thought. There was a sacral dimple on my son's back, a little hold above his butt, and that was the beginning of my nightmare. It tooks months before we finally had answers, even if they weren't the results we were hoping for. Dustin Jr. needed spinal cord surgery.


With the staff at Phoenix Children's Hospital we knew Dustin Jr. would be in great hands. He recovered quickly and is doing better every day. He continues to amaze me, when he laughs and smiles I melt. He's got me wrapped around his pinky finger, and I'm positive that's never going to change. I never knew how badly I wanted to have a son until he was finally here, and now, life would never be the same without him.


Dustin now has 4 teeth, two on top and two on the bottom, and his smile is that of a total heartbreaker! I often wonder if he's going to grow up thinking his name is, "Handsome" instead of "Dustin", because that's all I ever find myself calling him. This past week he has ripped the nipples off of two bottles with his teeth, and I'm reminded why I chose not to nurse! He doesn't like sippy cups, I truly believe I've tried one from every brand out there, but when he's ready, he'll make the switch. There are days I wonder where he puts it all, my son can eat like a champ! He is wearing 12-18 months tops and 12 months bottoms, and he's very tall. I tell him all the time if he looked any more like his daddy I'd have to whoop him. It always gets a good laugh. His favorite games are "So Big!" and peek-a-boo, and I will stop at nothing to get him to laugh.

Each day brings new and exciting obstacles, and I can't wait to see where life takes us. I am so proud to have Dustin Jr. for my son, and I hope one day he feels the same way about having me for his mom. Even if he can't tell me yet, I know he loves me. Trust me, the feeling is mutual.

1 comment:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Little Guy...and Momma! I LOVE those moments when you can just sit back and watch, it makes the world feel like it's going in slow motion and I LOVE it...sometimes I wish I could live in those moments!

    ReplyDelete