The Smith's

The Smith's

October 11, 2011

Hymns and Hims

I decided to do another journal jar post this morning, since I'm up early, the kids are fed, and I've already downed two cups of coffee. Why not, right? I was feeling a little down when I woke up, grouchy, and ungrateful. I'm glad I chose this question today.


Favorite hymn...

The first thing that popped into my mind when I read the paper was this joke, I hope you get a chuckle out of it, I know I did.


One Sunday, a pastor told his congregation that the church needed some extra money and asked the people to prayerfully consider giving a little extra in the offering plate. He added that whoever gave the most would be able to pick out three hymns.


After the offering plates were passed and collected, the pastor saw that someone had placed a $1,000 bill in offering. He was so excited that he immediately shared his joy with his congregation. "Someone has blessed us with a $1,000 donation!" he announced. "Please let me know who you are. I want to personally thank you."


A woman in the back of the church who looked to be in her late 40's raised her hand.


"Please come up front," the pastor said. The woman made her way up front.


"Thank you for your wonderfully generous gift to the church," the pastor said. "Please, I would like you to pick out three hymns."


The woman's eyes brightened. She looked over the congregation, pointed to the three most handsome men in the church and said, "I'll take him and him and him!"


Now, in all seriousness, I had a really hard time picking a favorite. I may have been out of the church for a while, but the songs and lessons have not been lost in me. In honor of the joke above, I chose 3 hymns, each having carried me through a time in my life when I felt truly alone. In no particular order, here is what I chose.


1. On Eagles Wings:
(Refrain) (full lyrics)
"And He will raise you up on eagle's wings,
Bear you on the breath of dawn,
Make you to shine like the sun,
And hold you in the palm of his hand"


This song was so important to me after I left my abusive ex husband. I thought I was done for, down in the dumps, feeling lower than low, with no where to belong. This song always reminds me that no matter what, God is always there to help me, hold me, and raise me up.


2. Be Not Afraid:
(Refrain) (full lyrics)
"Be not afraid,
I go before you always,
Come follow me,
And I will give you rest"


This song has been one of my favorites ever since I can remember. I have turned to this song during so many points in my life-when my mom was ill, when she passed away, when life in general was so exhausting I didn't think I could handle one more day, I listened. I put my faith in God and he eased my pain, my exhaustion, my aching heart. This song truly puts, "If He brings you to it, He'll bring you through it" into beautiful music. Enjoy.


3. Prayer of St. Francis
(Refrain) (full lyrics)

"Oh, Master, grant that I may never seek 
So much to be consoled as to console. 
To be understood as to understand. 
To be loved, as to love with all my soul. "


The words to this song mean so much more than what meets the eye, in fact, I can rarely make it through the first line without bursting into tears. Years ago, when my mom was dying, my family surrounded her bed side. Though I wasn't there, I can picture it as plain as day. My brother sang this song, remembering days when my dad would arrive home from church, whistling this tune and brightening everyone's morning. This song was played at my mom's funeral, and the final line says it all, "...and in dying that we're born to eternal life." Each time I hear this song, I remember my mom, my family, and the sorrow God brought us through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment