The Smith's

The Smith's

October 18, 2011

Meeting My Sister

This weekend Dustin, the kids, and I went to Vegas to visit my dad, my sister, and her family. I must admit, anxious doesn't even begin to describe the pit in my stomach. I was nervous, I felt like I was staying with a stranger, and a stranger that I wasn't even sure liked me. The times I've spent with my sister, Gloria, have always been brief, so this was a change of pace for the both of us.

As predicted, we arrived to her house and were greeted with open arms. The kids warmed right up to Gloria and were excited to spend the weekend at Pa-Pa's. By the end of the first night, I had tried new food, tasted delicious red wine, and laughed until my face hurt. I had a feeling I was in for a wonderful weekend.

The things we have in common bridge the gap in age, it's simply just a number anyway. Though her children are close in age to me, having grandchildren the same ages as my kids made the transition smooth and fun. Having someone to talk to about diabetes, the struggles of being a mom and a wife, and everything in between, was more than refreshing. There were times I would feel frustrated, embarrassed, or upset, and before I even had a chance to apologize, my sister laughed it off and explained the importance of soaking up those exact memories, as one day I would miss them.

To see Gloria as a human, not some superwoman, was refreshing. I'm not sure why I had painted this picture of her as tight, stuck-up, and unfriendly-she's the complete opposite! Loving, generous, kind and funny, I am glad I had the opportunity to "meet" my sister all over again. Fish sticks, macaroni and cheese, and boxed wine will never be the same again. I hope this relationship is one that blossoms, and continues to grow, just like her fairy garden on Facebook. I've got nothing but love for you, sis!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, so sweet. Sometimes age and maturity make all the difference. It's amazing how sometimes ONE impression can define and entire person. I'm so glad this "image" was able to change and you were able to reconnect!

    ReplyDelete