The Smith's

The Smith's

October 08, 2011

Untitled

I never know where to begin, how to explain my feelings, or the reasons behind them. I am always nervous I'll share too much, or perhaps I'm too vague, leaving you with questions that will never be answered.

Last night, Evelien moved out. As I sit here, and I type it, it becomes even more real. Her room is empty, the bathroom is void of her personal effects, and the house seems just a little quieter. Somehow, some way, I feel as though a weight has been lifted.

Evelien is a great kid, she does well in school, she's beautiful, fun, and spunky. She has so much to offer, I hope she does great in life, whatever she chooses to do. I see no reason for anything but success, and I hope she always stays happy.

When I decided to embark on this journey, I thought more of myself and my desires, and less of those of my family. I feel as though this was an amazing experience, but not something we were as prepared for as we thought. Our children are small, requiring lots of attention-time, money, energy-and there are times I feel spent just dealing with them, let alone worrying constantly about a teenager running around with her friends. I remember what it's like to be 17, and boy, it wasn't always peaches and cream.

I hope Evelien understands and knows deep down this is for the best, and I love her dearly. She touched my life in such a way she will always be a part of me. Her new host family should be overjoyed to have such an amazing girl, I hope she understands her own self worth. A slice of my heart is broken, I feel as though I've disappointed her, ruined her vision of America, but I know deep down this is for the best. She's more than just a built-in babysitter, she's more than just a teenager needing a place to fit in-she's a person with needs and feelings, and I'm glad to have known her when I did.

Evelien, I hope America is everything you dreamed of. I pray you remember this experience and the laughs we shared, and the time we spent together. I know one day you'll succeed, your life is truly going places, and I'm so proud to have been a part of it. Thank you for everything you shared with me, and the lessons we both learned.  Take care of yourself, and be safe.

Love,
Joli

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear girl. You can't do everything. I think part of being "super woman" is knowing when you've taken off more than you can chew. Even if Evelien can't fully understand now, I'm sure that one day she will understand and be grateful for the lessons you have taught her!

    ReplyDelete