The Smith's

The Smith's

February 01, 2010

Today

Today. Today, I went to the park. I had a blast! Just a couple friends and their kids, and obviously my own. Kenadi went down the slide head first and gave herself "slide-burn" (similar to rug-burn, but from the slide) and never even cried. She flew off the end of that slide head first so fast all we could do was stare. Thank goodness for her fearless ambition and her never ending seeking of approval, we all clapped and she got up, brushed the dirt off, and went on about her business. Laila is finally getting a grasp on the whole "pumping your legs" while you swing idea. It's only taken her a good year to follow my instructions. Maybe that's one of those things someone else's mom needs to teach her.

Today. Today, Kenadi got her first pair of flip-flops, and Laila realized that adults feelings can be hurt too. It was quite moving, once she realized she hurt her daddy inside, she cried like a baby. She was afraid he wasn't going to forgive her. The love that emits from that child is unreal.

Today. Today, I have never been more thankful for my husband, and his support for me and our family. There have been days, many, many days, when he has worked 16+ hours, tired from the night before, and never once complained. When the money wasn't there, he got a second full time job, and again, never complained. He drives a little compact car, yet I drive an suv. He takes lunches to save money, and hardly asks for a thing. He is one man with his priorities straight, and I thank God for him every day. Today, especially.

Today. Today, I let other's people's problems and feelings get under my skin. I felt hurt, discouraged, disappointed, and disgusted. I felt used, wasted, and on the verge of being taken advantage of. I tried to brush these feelings off, thinking maybe I was over-reacting, but my friends asked how I couldn't have felt this way. Today, I also felt strong. I am a good person, and damnit, I will put my family first. Come hell or high water, there is nothing I wont do for them. To feed them, clothe them, shelter them, and protect them. They are my responsibility, and I will not use someone else, and ever have them feel the way I felt today.

Today. Today, I leave you with this quote:

I am strong because I am weak.
I am beautiful because I know my flaws.
I am a lover because I am a fighter.
I am fearless because I have been afraid.
I am wise because I have been foolish.
& I can laugh because I've known sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment