The Smith's

The Smith's

June 23, 2010

Anniversary, Father's Day, and More

There are days that go by where I don't even entertain the thought of blogging, nothing exciting has gone on, and no one wants to read about our boring day to day life...then I get busy and forget all about it and I have to play catch-up again! This past week has been one of those weeks where everything happens all at once, so time to recap.

Friday was our anniversary, I can't believe we've been married for 4 years already! This August will be 6 years we've been together, and never one day have I ever regretted the decisions we've made. Dustin is an amazing husband and our life together is more than I ever could have dreamed of having. This year I did things a little differently, normally I buy Dustin some wonderful gift and surprise him first thing in the morning, but he just couldn't wait! I ordered him "Red Dead Redemption" offline and it arrived a week before our anniversary, and he just had to play it. I've been trying my hardest to save up for when the baby comes, so I had nothing to surprise him with, but he surprised me! One day I mentioned wanting the Soprano's Family Cookbook, I looked up a few recipes online and fell in love. When I opened my gift and that was inside, I couldn't believe it! How exciting! Just when I thought things couldn't get any better, the doorbell rang and there was a package sitting on our doorstep.
No way it could be for me! I opened it and found two new attachments for my Kitchen Aid mixer! I was stunned! One was a dough hook, and the other is a 5 in 1 grater/shredder! My poor husband, he must finally be fed up with shredding a block of mozzarella cheese for me every time I make pasta! The dough hook doesn't fit my mixer, it doesn't go deep enough into the bowl to actually mix anything, but it can easily be exchanged. The box says Kitchen Aid, Saint Joseph, MI. Just a cute little reminder of where we come from.

To make our anniversary the best day ever, Dustin's shift bid went really well! I have been praying for relief and peace of mind since I found out we were expecting another baby, and I finally think my prayers have been answered! Dustin has been on midnights since I can remember, working all night while we sleep, and sleeping all day while the kids and I try to keep cool, quiet, and entertained. Not as easy as it sounds! With a new baby due just weeks away, and both Kenadi and Laila starting school, I feared I'd never get sleep! Up all night with a new baby, up to cart two kids off to school, and somehow sleeping in the mix, it just didn't sound possible. Starting July 5, the new schedule takes effect, and it couldn't have worked out better! Saturday and Sunday, 2pm-2am, Monday and Tuesday 2pm-10pm, with Wednesday-Friday off! I couldn't believe it myself when I heard! Only 1 day out of the school week will Dustin be getting home later than 10:30pm, which means he'll be able to help at night and in the mornings with the kids, and they will all get to see him for a least a few hours a day! I am so happy, July 5 can't get here fast enough!

Saturday we made a trip to the splash pad to enjoy some fun in the sun! I was able to take the girls in the pool and really enjoy spending some time with them. Laila really loves the water, but I think she likes the food even more! Everyone always brings snacks and treats to share, and I caught this gorgeous photo of her falling in love with juicy watermelon. This isn't the first time she's ever had it, she asks for it every time we go to the store, so when someone broug it, she had to help herself to a few big slices. Our development doesn't have a pool or splash pad, so we don't get to go as often as we'd like, but when we do go, it's always a special treat for all of us.

Father's Day came and went, and we really didn't do anything special this year. Dustin worked on the baby's room some more, I think it's almost finally done! The colors look great, and I'm really happy with how well they match his bedding. I know Dustin likes it too. As I mentioned earlier, I've been trying to save money for the baby, so I didn't go overboard spending money on an extravagant gift for Dustin, and since our anniversary and Father's Day are literally 2 days apart, I normally buy 1 big gift. This year he got his game for our anniversary, and a new shirt for Father's Day. Normally, that would sound like a cheap gift, but the shirts he buys from Casual Male XL are $45-55 a piece! He picked a nice new black golf polo, and he just loves it, he's already worn it twice!

Since Dustin works weekends, we weren't able to celebrate our anniversary until last night, and the wait was well worth it! He took me to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory! It was delicious! I absolutely love that restaurant, but it's a bit out of our price range for a normal date night, so we took advantage of the special occasion! We started dinner off with some amazing stuffed mushrooms and the super crusty bread they bring to the table for you. We ordered our dinner and it was everything I hoped it would be, and more. I had the Thai Chicken in Peanut Sauce, it was so good after just a few bites I was full and had to have it boxed up to bring home! Dustin had the Kobe beef burger, and as usual, it didn't disappoint either. He even shared a bite with me, he's so sweet. Even though I thought I was going to burst, we still ordered a slice of cheesecake. I don't care for cheesecake, so I let Dustin pick, and he picked a real winner! White chocolate caramel macadamia nut cheesecake, wow, that's a mouthful! I had a couple bites, until it started to taste like cheesecake, then I gave up. We ended up bringing that home too! Surprisingly, it's still in the fridge! I think just getting away for a few hours was the best gift of all, we really enjoyed our time together without the kids. I hope he knows how much I enjoy his company, with or without the girls around. I love being with him, I adore being his wife. I am thankful every day for the life we have, the life we've made together, and I look forward to many more years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment