The Smith's

The Smith's

November 25, 2010

Gobble Gobble!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I am so thankful for everyone who takes their time to read my blog, I know it's nothing special, but to me, it's theraputic.

Thanksgiving has always proven to be a difficult time for me, since my mom died things have never been the same. I have spent years trying to get things just like they were growing up, and something always fails. I have had help from my dad, sister, even my husband, and I still have felt like I would never be able to do it alone. This year, I have decided things need to change. My turkey is in the oven, my casseroles are in the fridge waiting to be heated, and the beer is icy cold. I did it, and I finally feel good about it. This year, instead of being sad and angry my mom is missing, I am thankful to be a mom myself. I had Laila help me rub the turkey down, I let her help stuff the turkey, and I even let her have a sip of my morning coffee. I want her to remember these days as being filled with love, happiness, and great memories, just as I look back on my childhood Thanksgivings.

Things in our lives have changed this past year so remarkably, I have many things to be thankful for. I have overcome the sorrow, the self pity, and the anger; I have found myself in a place where nothing is taken for granted. I have a new son, another child to shape and teach to become a fine young adult, to instill the values in we believe this world needs more of, and to share my love with. He brightens up my life every morning with his smile, and helps me to rest peacefully at night. My sweet Kenadi is another shining star; she tells me she loves me and I know she really means it, every hug and every smile. Her laugh is contagious and her heart is overflowing. Laila, my rock and my inspiration, falls nothing short of a miracle in my book. I am forever thankful for her health, diabetes is just another hurdle we will overcome as a family, it does not define who she is, nor does it slow her down. When I asked her what she was thankful for this year, she said she's thankful for a mommy and daddy who put her to bed each night. I asked her what it's like to have diabetes, and she told me all it means is she's a diabetic. She's not sick, there are plenty of children who are sick, she isn't one of them. Bless her, and what she brings to this family. She shows us all what we really need to be thankful for.

My husband, the love of my life, I am so thankful to have each and every day. He takes such good care of our family, working hard and long to provide for us. He is everything to me, he carries the weight of my burdens on his shoulders, and never complains. We are a team, not individuals. We are connected as one, not two separate people. Our lives have grown together in such a way that without him, I wouldn't know who I am anymore. What I am missing, he finds within him self to share, and his love will always be enough. He has been with me through the good times, and the bad, and with an "I love you," for every occasion.

My friends and family are not forgotten, as I am thankful for them as well. There are individuals out there who have lifed me up when I was down, wiped away my tears when I have cried, and helped me out in a pinch. I have confided in them, laughed with them, and have learned many things through those who care for me. I am so glad there are people out there who have taken the time to get to know me, even though the road hasn't been easy.

I am thankful for so many things, this list is just the beginning. Our freedom, those sacraficing for us and being without so we can have the things we need, are not without acknowledgement. The lessons my parents taught me I carry through with me in my life today. I may not have the best, but I make the best of what I have. This, I am thankful for, too. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful for you and your strength Ms Joli! You are such a wonderful mother and an inspiration and strength to me! Thanks for sharing your life (although I don't always get a chance to read and get caught you). You (well WE) all have so much to be grateful for.

    LOVE YOU JOLI! HAPPY Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete