The Smith's

The Smith's

November 18, 2010

Olive Garden

Last week we decided to treat the family to dinner at Olive Garden. It's a favorite of ours, Dustin and I usually sneak in there for lunch on our days out together without the kids. We went on a Friday night, expecting to hit a dinner rush, but made it just in time. We were quickly seated in a quiet area at the back of the restaurant, and accomodated with a high chair and baby sling. I was tickled pink until we met our server.

I politely asked him for a nutrition guide, I stated we have a diabetic in the family and I needed to refer to one before ordering. He came back and handed Dustin a "low-fat menu". I couldn't believe my eyes, and stated for him again we need a nutrition guide for everything served, not just a special menu, and the diabetic is my daughter. He summonsed a manager to drop off a nutrition guide, and she briskly passed by the table and dropped it off and kept walking.

We ordered and I went off to the bathroom to take Kenadi, and while I was gone, our server opened his big mouth. He claimed he knew all about diabetes since he has people in his family who have it, and he asked how Laila takes her insulin. Dustin told him we do shots in a syringe, not a pen, and he assumed Dustin was a diabetic too. Not only did he insult him with a "low-fat menu", but now assuming he's a diabetic as well, made a double whammie in my book.

Normally, because this was our first bad experience at a restaurant we love, I would have just let it go. But something kept stirring in my stomach the next day, so I decided to let them know. I logged into Olive Garden's web site and sent in a review of our experience. I left my name, number, address, e-mail address, and phone number; plenty of ways to contact me. Today, as I was standing at the check-out counter of Fry's grocery store, I received a phone call from Olive Garden.

I was asked a few questions, apologized to, and promised it would never happen again. I was told there would be a briefing and educational class for all employees on how to handle a situation with a diabetic, and I was pleased with that. The manager I spoke with assured me things were handled, and also let me know I would be receiving a $50 gift card in the mail. I couldn't believe my ears! My jaw almost hit the floor, what a surprise! He said they would like us to come back, this should cover almost 2 full visits, or one really great date night! I am now a firm believer in the "onion letter", and if I ever have another bad experience, I will be sure to let the company, in the most polite way as possible, how it went. In addition, I will be sure to give praise where deserved, but I will no longer keep my opinions to myself. Thanks for a great lesson (and dinner!), Olive Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment