The Smith's

The Smith's

April 11, 2011

Let the Writing Begin

After much needed poking and prodding, I have started to write a book. It has been one of my life long dreams, and to be honest, I don't even care if it ever gets published. I've decided to write my own version of a memoir, sort of a recollection of the events of my life. Hopefully, it will help someone, somewhere have the strength to make it through another day, end a bad relationship, or enter into a new one.

I have no title, and not quite three pages, but I already feel like a million bucks. At the request of my friend, Jessica, I will post my "prologue"...and yes, Jessica, you can share it too.


Every little girl dreams of the day they give their heart away. Every fairy tale is different, each with its own happy ending. Growing up, my version of home was simple. My father brought home the bacon, my mother fried it in the pan. My father was the only parent working, and my mother's job was to raise the children, making the best of the resources available for everyone. There were plenty of days I felt as if we were millionaires, though I know now that merely wasn't the case.

I grew up in a small city, where money spent fast and word spread even faster. It was no surprise when shopping at the grocery store, everyone seemed to know my name. My mother was the type of person who made friends easily, it was as though everyone wanted to get to know her. I was embarrassed as a child, to have to stop at neighbors houses on our way home or having to wait at the supermarket as my mother chatted with someone she knew, it was taking time away from my day. Clearly, toys and television were far more important than getting to know my mother's friends. Little did I know then, one day, these friends would become friends of mine as well. All, somehow, on the way to my own happy ending.

I hope you enjoy the teaser I have posted, maybe one day, I will be able to share with the world the rest of my work. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. YOU ARE AMAZING! Hehehe. I'm here every step of the way with you. If you do it for nobody, do it for yourself (although I hope and pray your story will touch others too).

    YOU CAN DO IT GIRL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to post on this earlier. But love it and I cant wait to read more

    ReplyDelete