The Smith's

The Smith's

April 07, 2011

Making Strides

Bedtime seems to have been a struggle in this house for as long as I can remember. Laila used to fight with me to the point we would both be in tears, I remember her being nearly 2 years old before she finally fell asleep without being held, or having somone right next to her until she was in a deep sleep.

Kenadi started out just fine, I swore I'd never fall back into the same routine as I did with Laila-as much as I wanted another child, I still wanted my freedom. Things seemed just fine as long as Kenadi was in her crib, she would eat a bottle, fall asleep, and I'd put her down. Once I took the bottle away, we started having our problems. I let her lay on the couch with me until she fell asleep, and if I tried moving her before she was out cold, she would start crying and screaming. I was finally so tired of fighting with her, I let her lay in my room until she fell asleep, watching Twilight, or, "Edward", as she calls it.

A little over a week ago, I went in my room to pick up Kenadi and put her to bed and she was still awake, it was close to midnight! I threw a fit, I couldn't stand one more night of having to wait to go to bed myself because my 2 year old wasn't sleeping yet and she was in my bed! I told Dustin this had to stop, cold turkey, no matter what. The first few days, Dustin was home to put her to bed and for some reason, she does so much better for him. Minimal crying, compared to what I expected, so I was pleased. It's been over a week now and she's still fighting bedtime. We have a pretty strict routine, but it just seems tha no matter how I say it, she still screams at my goodnights. On a normal night, we eat dinner, play a bit, get a bath or shower, put on jammies, and read a story. Tonight, I let the girls each pick one book, they get in bed and I read them whatever books were picked out, I give them each lovings and say my goodnights. Usually, I can't even tell Kenadi goodnight without a scream fest, if I get a kiss, I'm lucky.

Tonight, though she's gotten out of bed a few times to potty, she's been quiet, happy, and hasn't cried! I'm almost in tears myself, I'm so happy! When I first walked out of her room, she let out a few sobs, but she has remained quiet and in bed, and I couldn't be more thrilled. We might not be exactly where we want to be, but little steps will eventually get us there. I am hoping for another good night tomorrow, sticking to a routine has helped, but nobody's perfect. One day, I know we'll get there, until then, we'll continue making strides in our journey of life.

2 comments:

  1. YEAH for a good night. I don't if you want suggestions but I'll give them to you anyway (I'll never know if you don't use them)

    I saw on The Nanny one time giving them like 2 "get out of bed free cards" for a drink, a hug, whatever. Once those cards are gone they need to stay in bed.

    Also, Jerimiah has a lamp next to his bed (on a timer). After I say goodnight he can stay up reading a book until his light goes off (if he wants).

    I don't know if you've tried any of this stuff. I don't know if they'll help BUT if you need more suggestions there ya go. You're doing great. Some kids are GREAT at bedtime, some kids aren't. Sending GOOD LUCK your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Routine is the key and I think you got it girl. Not giving up and giving in. Its so hard because I deal as you know with issues like this with Ben. But it worked so well with Lana. You are doing so great with the kids. Soon she will not even remember why it was a big deal and she will feel like a big girl.

    ReplyDelete