The Smith's

The Smith's

March 07, 2010

Slip & Fall

Today, I slipped and fell, right on my ass, in the entry way of Wal*Mart. I must admit, I was mortified, but more upset than anything. The way I was treated was unreal, and I am so disgusted just thinking about it. I walked in carrying Kenadi, it was drizzling and there were no mats, rugs, or fans to dry any of the water on the floor. I was thankful neither Kenadi or I was hurt, and Laila didn't even slip, but the reactions of the on-lookers hurt more than any bruise could have. The gentleman working the register walked casually over to me to ask if we were okay, but never even asked if we needed any help. He told me he doesn't have a mop, and stood there and watched me struggle to regain myself. I stood Kenadi up and had Laila hold her hand while I tried to get up unassisted. Being 20 weeks pregnant and having slipped on the wet floor to begin with, I had a bit of a hard time. Once I was up and moving, some guy told me "Nice catch!" I'm assuming he meant that Kenadi's head missed the concrete floor by a mere inch or so. There were at least a dozen other on-lookers who were chatting with each other and simply asked "Are you okay?" as I walked by. Of course I am, do you think I'd be going on about my shopping if I wasn't? Thanks for asking me as I walk by you so you feel like you did your good deed for the day.

I went on with my shopping and checked out with the same person who treated me so poorly when I fell. He had the nerve to ask me why I insist on going out in this weather with kids, and proceeded to tell me I'll learn my lesson the hard way by slipping and falling again if I'm not careful! I just stood there, completely appalled. Why on Earth should I have to defend myself to a cashier about why I'm out and about with my kids? I went to Fry's, did my routine grocery shopping, and came home. I was still so burnt up about it I called Wal*Mart to complain. The manager told me he'd talk to the guy's immediate supervisor. They said one rug was put down, but they didn't have enough to have them at every entrance. I told him maybe Wal*Mart needs to invest in a few more rugs. How ridiculous. I even told the manager what the guy said to me, and he laughed and said maybe it is a cultural thing. Cultural thing? CULTURAL THING? For some washed up over-opinionated minimum-wage paid teenager at Wal*Mart to talk to me like that is going to be excused as a cultural thing, I don't think so. I am writing to corporate and reporting the incident as well, since I don't feel it was handled properly. The manager of the store on duty told me there was a message sent out that someone fell and by the time someone was able to get away to look for me I was already up and gone. Was I supposed to sit there on the floor with my 2 kids, hope someone may have finally broke down and helped me up? No way. I am a strong, independent woman, and thank goodness for it too. With the way society is these days, I can't believe how things like compassion and human decency have gone to the way side. Our lives are all strained, and we need to be able to depend on each other.  I see that clearly isn't the case anymore, but rest assured, my girls will be raised to help out someone in need. We donate food to the food drives, supplies to the schools, and our time to help others. That's how I sleep well at night, knowing I have done my best to do the right thing.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it sad. I'm glad you're "ok" as ok as you can be anyway. I would have picked you up! It's amazing how caught up everyone is in their own lives that they can't stop to help someone up off the floor. Keep going up the chain of command lady, get you some justice :-) They'd really be sorry if there was a lawsuit on their hands, wouldn't they?

    ReplyDelete