The Smith's

The Smith's

January 22, 2012

Feeding the Ducks & Stitches!

Part of my New Year's Resolution is to say "yes" more to the kids. Sounds simple enough, but some days, it's so difficult I could scream. Yesterday, the kids asked to go to the park. I had some orders I was working on so I pushed it off until today, but this morning when they pounced on my bed and demanded I get up, I knew I had to deliver on that promise.

I figured I would make the best of having to get some fresh air, so I packed some bread to feed the ducks, snacks to keep us fed, and juices in case Laila's sugar was low. I brought along a blanket and a soccer ball, too. I had it all planned, it was going to be an awesome day! I even invited our friend Dayna along, with her kids Brooklynne, Kaylee, and Mandy! We played for hours, laughed, and had a great time.

Kaylee, Kenadi, Laila, and Brooklynne!

Dayna and Dustin

Kenadi!

Dustin and Mandy

Kaylee and Dustin

Laila

Brooklynne and Dustin
Everything was great! We had such an amazing time, I promised the kids McDonald's chicken nuggets for lunch, and was planning on taking a nap myself once the kids were down. I was grabbing my bag and starting towards the car when Kenadi screamed. It was one of those screams that makes your heart stop, because you know something is wrong. She stood up behind a cement bench holding her chin, and I hoped and prayed she only scraped it.

As she ran to me, the blood started dripping on her shirt, and I knew it was much worse. I lost it, completely and utterly broke down. Dayna had her kids take Laila and Dustin home with them, and she carried Kenadi to the car. I was in hysterics, she told me Kenadi would need stitches on her little chin, but you may as well have told me she just cut her own arm off. We took her to Urgent Care right here in Maricopa, and they only had us wait a few minutes. They cleaned her chin and assessed the need for stitches.

They decided she could get away with just three stitches. I told her she had to have three because she's three, and she said okay! She really just wanted a band-aid, she had no idea what was going on. They had to give her Lidocaine to numb it, and that really hurt. Hearing her scream broke my heart. Dayna held her arms and I held her legs, and they gave her multiple small injections to numb her chin. They let it sit for 20 minutes and came back to stitch it.

I wasn't sure I was going to be able to sit through her stitches, but I knew I couldn't leave her. She needed me. And I needed her. She was scared and wouldn't calm down, so I began to recite a song for her that's calmed all 3 of my kids during uncomfortable times: "The Ladybug Picnic". You know the tune, "1, 2, 3...4, 5, 6...7, 8, 9...10, 11, 12....ladybugs came, to the ladybug picnic..." The doctor, nurse, and Dayna all laughed, but it worked. She was able to stay still through the first two stitches with no problem! The last one caused a bit of trouble and she cried some, but she made it through with promises of a popsicle!

I took a few "before" pictures, I was so distraught, I didn't even think to take any of her stitches after it was over. I'm sure I will remember to take a few tomorrow and as it heals.

Pre-stitches #1
This is after the flushed the cut.

Pre-stitches #2
This one was after we cleaned the blood off of her.

Pre-stitches #3
This is after the lidocaine.

Post-stitches photo!
This is after they stitched her up.

It seems ridiculous, but she hardly cried through the whole thing! She just wanted "a band-aid for her owie". They didn't have any pretty or cute ones, so she settled for a regular one. We can remove it tomorrow and wash it after the band-aid comes off.

We went for ice cream with Dayna and her girls tonight, what a treat! I gave Kenadi some tylenol and sent her to bed smiling! I hope it heals quickly for my brave little girl! I'm so proud of her!

I will never be able to express the gratitude and thanks I have for Dayna and her family. She took care of me, my baby, and the rest of us with grace and ease. Without her, I wouldn't have made it through today. So, Dayna, if you stumble across this blog, know the special place you hold in my heart, and in Kenadi's.

Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Joli, my heart literally sunk for you when you texted me this afternoon with the news. I wish I could have just rushed right over and been there to hold your hand. YOU ARE AN AMAZING MOTHER! Please don't ever think otherwise of yourself! Kenadi is such a brave little girl and I am so glad you weren't alone!

    Joli, I'm not even joking but literally every time I say "no" to Jerimiah I think of you and your resolution to say "yes" more...what a great resolution and every time I think of you I think "how could I make it a yes without being a push-over"...I'm working on that.

    Love you Joli...I keep you in my prayers always and will especially pray for a quick recovery for Ms. Kenadi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great MOM, it is hard to see our kids hurt and you know that in a BIG way. Glad everything turned out Great. Now you can kiss the boo boo. You are a Fanfreakintastic mother, with great friends. Keep up the Great work!

    ReplyDelete