The Smith's

The Smith's

May 12, 2011

2 Week Follow-up

It's hard to believe that two weeks have passed since Little D was in surgery to detether his spinal cord. It has been a scary time for us, but his recovery is going so smoothly, I can't complain. He has been medication free since we left the hospital, only taking over the counter acetaminophen for the first few days.


Yesterday, Dustin Jr. had a follow-up appointment with a nurse practitioner, the same one who assisted with the surgery. I was nervous, to say the least, that his incision wasn't healing properly or I was getting it too wet with his sponge baths. She took a peek and exclaimed it was better than even expected! All the glue was gone and the mild redness is just irritation from the stitches, which will eventually go away as they dissolve. We are free to give him a regular bath, and his outdoor activity no longer needs to stay limited. I was in tears, I was so happy to see his forward progress and to hear what a great job we're doing.


Before the surgery, Little D was starting to pull to a standing position, but not for long. I never noticed how quickly he would fall back down, until now. I was watching him in the waiting room yesterday, and right before my eyes, he took steps! He was holding onto a bench, and for the first time, he was cruising! I do my best not to compare my kids to others, or each other, but it's hard. When you're filling out a baby book and the spaces are still blank months after your other children's were filled in. I have had a constant worry in the back of my mind, this boy of mine has given me a run for my money since my pregnancy!

Today, he's been cruising down the side of the couch like a champ, a seasoned pro! He makes me so proud. I don't care that he's not walking at 10 months, or that he doesn't have any teeth yet. I waited a lifetime for my prince to come, I can wait a few more months before he grows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment