The Smith's

The Smith's

May 02, 2011

AYUSA

The past few months have been nothing short of busy, and I mean that in the most literal way possible. Our family has had many ups and downs lately, it seems as though there's been a pretty equal number of each, but I could just be optimistic.

In the midst of everything swirling around us, I somehow managed to convince my husband to agree to being a "host family" for a foreign exchange student. It still baffles me sometimes, honestly, that he agreed to sign the papers! I'm thrilled! As of this past week, our application has been approved, photos submitted, and soon I will be able to contact my "host daughter" and I couldn't be more thrilled!! I was able to choose a student from a list of applicants, it's like temporary adoption! I read her essay and got chills-we have so much in common, and the real deal maker-she's a type 1 diabetic! I have so many dreams of how things will be when Laila is 16, what life will be like with a diabetic teenager, and I think this will be a preview of what I'm in store for. There is this unspoken code, this silent connection diabetic families have, mothers to mothers, mothers to children, there's something unseen there. You feel it the instant you meet, shake hands, or hold a conversation. I know this is a great choice. Honestly, I struggle daily with life as the mom of a diabetic, and now I'm choosing to accept another one into my home. Am I crazy? Probably. But I never claimed not to be.

The spare room at the front of our house-which I lovingly refer to as the "front room" is in the process of being converted to a bedroom, and if you ask me, it's not too shabby. I purchased a bedframe, headboard, box springs and mattress off of Craigslist, a computer desk and chair from a friend, hung a few photos on the wall and added a lamp, and it's coming along nicely. I don't have a dresser or armoire yet, I'm still looking for one, but that's all that's missing! Next month we will install double doors and it should finally be finished! After the final touches are made, I will post a photo, I'm waiting so it will be a surprise to all who have seen the mess it was before!

I really hope this experience is amazing for each and every one of us, I'm sure we will all learn new things about each other, and ourselves. I hope to create a long, lasting relationship with our new addition to the family, and I hope she feels the same. Wish us luck, though I doubt we're going to need it.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! What an amazing decision. I'm sure it'll be great for you guys, and for Laila. As strong as she is, I'm sure she has fears and having someone she can talk to if she is scared might be good for her.

    You are a wonderful Mother and a wonderful person for all that you do for your family AND OTHERS! Rock On Ms Joli!

    ReplyDelete