The Smith's

The Smith's

May 05, 2011

Catch Up

So, I'll admit, I've been horrible about keeping up with Dustin's first year, but can you blame me? 3 kids, 1 in school full time and dance, 1 starting preschool in a few weeks, and another that just had surgery, what a mess! Now that little D is home safe and sound, I deicded to take a moment and reflect on how blessed we are, and how much has really been going on in our lives.

During his hospital stay, Dustin Jr. turned 9 months. I took a few photos of him with my phone while he was in there, but nothing I'm wanting to look at right now. It was a rough couple of days, watching him drift in and out of consciousness, praying the incision didn't leak, and wondering if he was in pain. The nights were the hardest, I was with him alone, and the whimpering during his sleep was heartbreaking. At the time, I don't think it fully hit me what was happening, I sort of put on this suit of armor that no one could break through-I needed to be strong for my son. I was able to sit and blog about it, answer dozens of phone calls and messages, and it never seemed to phase me. Now that it's over, I'm a mess. I worry constantly about his back, if he's in pain, if I'm taking care of it properly, and there's never a moment I don't thank God he's doing as well as he is. He's still not walking, or even cruising, but he's pulling up on the furniture, and he's standing much longer than before his surgery. He's eating almost all table food, and heaven forbid anyone tries to feed him! I'm pleased to report he's sleeping 10-12 hours a night, which is nothing new, but always nice. Here are a few photos I took of him today:



Kenadi is simply Boo Boo. That little girl, there's never a dull moment with her. She's going to start a preschool summer program this fall. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to enroll her, she's going to be 3 in September, which is earlier than I put Laila in, but I feel she needs the interaction with the other kids. This will give her something to do twice a week that's just for her, and will also give her a break from us. As much as I love my children, I truly believe they need their own time, their own activities, and they need a break from me as much as I need a break from them. I am meeting with her preschool teacher today, Ms. Jen, who was Laila's teacher too. Laila loves her to death and still talks about her, I know I have nothing to worry about other than my baby growing up too fast.

I don't even know what to say about Laila. She's one amazing little girl these days. Kindergarten is over this month, and I'm not sure I'm cut out for that kind of pressure! She's excelling in her testing, her scores were almost double the state requirements for the end of the year at her third testing, I'm excited to see what her final test scores come out to. Her report card was amazing, she's so smart, she even teaches me things! She's finishing up the year in dance, her recital is coming up on May 21, her class is dancing tap to "A Spoonful of Sugar". Her costume is outrageous, and that's not just the price. It's adorable, I can't wait to have some photos taken of her in it, once the recial is over and I don't have to worry about damaging it, I'm going to take her out on location and have my favorite photographer snap a few of her in it. I know she'll look darling, I can hardly wait to see the show. We have taken a short break from her diabetes blog to work on some things at home and school, she's been really busy and doesn't want to sit and blog, and I refuse to make her. Maybe once things slow down she'll pick it back up again. It's still hard to believe sometimes I'm the mother of a diabetic, and this is just the beginning of a lifetime, but I know we can handle it. Together, that little girl and I are unstoppable.
I think that about brings me up to date on the kiddos. Dustin and I are just a month away from celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary and couldn't be happier. It's been a short and long five years, depending on who you ask! I know the road hasn't been easy, but we've made it this far. I can't imagine living through the things I have without him by my side, my life is complete, and he's been there through it all. I'm sure I tell him more than enough, but I love him. Every fiber of my being is poured into the love I have for him. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him, these 5 years are just a drop in the bucket.

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing...and those kids! WOW! Can we say "ADORABLE!" You're doing such a great job. It sounds like you have "normal Mom concerns" about Little D, keep doing what you're doing, he knows you love him and that's helping him heal!

    ReplyDelete