The Smith's

The Smith's

November 02, 2012

Gratitude Post 2

As I look around and see all the things I'm blessed with, I find it so hard to choose just one for each day and it's only day two. What a wonderful problem to have!

Day 2: I'm grateful for my children.

To me, nothing quite compares to the feeling in your heart when one of your children tells you they love you. I never get tired of hearing I'm the best mommy ever, in fact, I strive for that title daily. It's the best job I've ever had, and I wouldn't trade these babies for anything.

Each of my children are very different in so many ways. They have all taught me things about myself and lessons in life that only a small child could teach. I sometimes forget these moments will never come around again once they have passed me by, and I need to cherish each and every one of them. One day I'll miss packing school lunches and leaving little notes inside, or watching Dora in the morning instead of the weather channel while I drink my coffee, or not sleeping in on the weekends, or finding crayon all over the walls, or giving them a bath and giggling through the mounds of bubbles. The responsibility is almost overwhelming at times, but the reward at the end of each day is priceless.

From the moment each of those bloody, screaming babies landed on my chest in the delivery room, my heart was stolen, first by Laila, then Kenadi, and last, by Dustin Jr. I can see myself in them, not just in their physical features, but in the way Laila laughs, or how Kenadi holds a crayon, or when I watch Dustin Jr sleep. They are compassionate and kind, gentle and loving; they're opinionated and strong, proud and independent; they're everything I ever wanted them to be. Most importantly, they're mine.


1 comment: