The Smith's

The Smith's

November 06, 2012

Gratitude Post 6

Today is a pretty monumental day, it's election day! Sort of inspiring my post, if you get my drift.

Gratitude Day 6: I'm grateful for my freedom.

As a woman, as an adult, and as a citizen of the United States of America, I'm grateful for my freedom. I'm able to dress as I please, say what I choose, and I have the right to voice my opinion without fear of harm. Today, I voted for the very first time. I know, I've been eligible for 10 years, what's taken me so long? I have anxiety. Making a choice, feeling responsible, that's huge in my book, I just never felt I was ready.  Now that Laila is growing up, she's asking questions-lots of questions-about anything and everything.
With the election date nearing closer and closer, I was becoming painfully aware of how negligent I appeared, how irresponsible I sounded to my own daughter, and to myself. So today, I made a change, I got out there, and I did it! With a little extra boost, I exercised my right to vote, and it sure was liberating!

I try to remind my children how lucky they are, how many lives are lost each and every day to protect their freedoms, and mine. We are free to make choices, any and all choices, good or bad choices, right or wrong choices, they're ours to make. That is something to never be taken for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment