The Smith's

The Smith's

November 07, 2012

Gratitude Post 7

Another beautiful day has passed that I spent with my family, and it reminded me how blessed we are to be together. No one is deployed, no one is in the hospital, and we are all alive and well. That brings me to my gratitude for today.

Gratitude day 7: I'm grateful for our health.

In the grand scheme of things, we're all healthy and happy. I can't express what that means to me, to be able to say we're all healthy. There was a brief time, right before Laila's diagnosis, when we were unsure of our future. Any time a trip to the emergency room is required, it's a scary feeling, even if it's just for stitches. Kenadi has been my one and only to have stitches, though we've had many, many ER visits. Another brief time, before Dustin, Jr.'s surgery, when we were concerned about him walking. These battles we've faced and overcome, and we've come out on top.

Yes, Laila has diabetes. Yes, it's a chronic illness. Yes, she's sick, and no you can't see it, but as long as long as we check her sugar and keep it under control, she's as healthy as the next child.

Laila's bracelet for doctor visit check-ins
Playing at the park, Kenadi split her chin open on a cement bench. 3 stitches later, she's been the scariest urgent care visit yet. Thankfully, nothing serious like a broken bone has ever happened, yet anyway.

Kenadi's 3 stitches!
Dustin, Jr. had spinal cord surgery at just 9 months old, his spinal cord was tethered at the base of his spine. Without it, he would be in excruciating pain, causing him difficulty standing, walking, or running. The surgery was a success, no complications, and now he runs as fast as a bullet.

Dustin's back, pre-surgery

With so many accidents just waiting to happen, just waking up every morning is a blessing. Staying healthy is even better, ensuring another day with my beautiful loves.


No comments:

Post a Comment