The Smith's

The Smith's

January 27, 2011

Best News!

I am not one to run around telling everyone about my finances, the troubles and hurdles my family and I overcome are personal, so this post is a bit out of the norm for me. I won't dish out any figures, but I did get some fantastic news today!

September rolled around and in the mail I found my tax statement for the year, and I almost died. Last year my statement was $120.XX, that was for the entire year, and before my property had been assessed. This year, that total had an extra 0 attached on the end! For the year, our taxes had gone up to $1000.XX In my wildest dreams, I still couldn't come up with any way to pay that amount, and in such a short amount of time. Needless to say, I have been pinching pennies and scrimping every bit of change possible, I've cut more corners than I ever thought possible.  

Today, I called to make a payment on the first half, even thought it would be late, it was a start. The sooner I started making payments, the lower the penalty dollar amount would be. Even though my name isn't on the mortage, the lady was kind enough to access my account and give me the information on my account. She said...wait for it...that my escrow account has paid my taxes! The first half of my taxes have been paid in full! Even better news, the second half of my taxes will be paid through our escrow by the due date and I will owe nothing! I can't believe it!

I haven't managed to save much, simple math will tell you about how much I have, but it's more than I have had in my account in years. I feel like it's a million bucks, even though it's barely a fraction of that. To have something to fall back on, it's a relief. It feels like a boulder has been lifted off my shoulders! I can finally go to sleep knowing I will be able to provide for my family during any emergency, my bills will all be current, some even paid off, it's such a great feeling. A huge thanks goes out to my husband, who works day in and day out, to provide us with the extra pennies to scrimp. I knew one day those pennies would pay off.

1 comment:

  1. What a terrible situation with a happy ending. I hate "surprise" bills like that but glad it all turned out good! YAY!

    ReplyDelete