The Smith's

The Smith's

January 21, 2011

Day 2 of the 30 Day Photo Challenge

Today's photo was an easy one for me. I knew exactly who to pick for this one, and if you know me, you'll understand why.

A picture of you and the person you have been closest with the longest...



My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. ~Clarence Budington Kelland

Without my father, I wouldn't be here today. There were days I swore I hated him, I thought he was mean, stubborn, and just completely out of touch with reality. Now, as a parent, I realize how far out of reality I was, and what an awesome dad I really had. Our relationship has been amazing since I can remember, growing up I always referred to him as my "favorite" parent. When my mom was sick, I never saw compassion on someone's eyes like I did in my father's. The way he looked at her, how he wore his heart on his sleeve, it's always been something to look up to.

There were days I felt as though our relationship was "forced", my mom died, my brothers and sisters moved out, so my dad and I were left alone. We decided to make the best of it, but a 13 year old girl going through life's changes paired with a 67 year old man wasn't always easy. My dad supported me throughout so many different stages of my life, the good and the bad, the happy and the sad.

I can't say I remember ever hearing my dad tell me I made him " mad". He used to tell me how disappointed in me he was, and that hurt so much worse. It may have hurt, but it molded me and shaped my outlook as a mother. I call my dad more than anyone, my cell phone bill is always high because I can't seem to keep from calling him throughout the day, just to hear his voice. He's open, genuine, honest, and real. He has set the bar so high for my relationship, and for my own self. He will stop at nothing to ensure my safety, stability, and happiness. I will look up to him forever, he's always going to be my hero.

My father would give me the world if he could, and in the eyes of his daughter, he already has.

No comments:

Post a Comment