The Smith's

The Smith's

January 04, 2011

Pay it Forward

Laila's diabetes has not just affected how she lives her day to day life, but it's seeped into each and every one our our lives in ways I didn't realize were coming. Her testing supplies, though not cheap, have been covered by our insurance company since her diagnosis, saving us literally thousands of dollars in just the past few months.


Just days before Christmas, Walgreens broke the news to me that our insurance wasn't covering any more pharmacy refills, leaving me to foot the cost of her testing strips at over a dollar a piece. Laila is testing anywhere from 5-7 times a day, which mathmathically equals expensive. I had the option to buy a full box of 100, or in increments of 25. I purchased 50 and contacted our insurance company immediately. Though I'm not a policy holder, they spoke to me and explained I had to purchase her supplies through mail order, though they couldn't explain much else. Dustin called and spoke with someone who was able to answer most of our questions, giving us a quote on the cost and delivery time. Perfect, Laila's supplies would arrive 8 days after being called in by the doctor. The following morning I called the doctor to find the office was closed for 5 days. I fell apart, just completely lost it. How was I supposed to afford to keep purchasing these strips when I was getting them for free? I left numerous messages with the endocrinology office and obviously got no reply. Finally, I was able to get in touch with one of the nurses, Fran, and she was able to help me out. She ordered a 100 day supply of both testing strips and lancets for Laila, and prescribing she tests 8 times a day. That will cover more than 100 days, save us on our co-pay, and provide extra strips and lancets for Laila to take to school. I am still waiting on the order to come through, and since then, I've returned to Walgreens to purchase more strips to get me through the next few days.

This afternoon, I took a stroll out to the mailbox and found a package. I was thrilled, thinking it was Laila's testing strips from the insurance company. As I pulled it out, I realized there was no way, this package was way too small, though it was addressed to her. Normally, I wouldn't open her mail, but the return address caught my eye. Something in my stomach fluttered as I realized it was from the hospital. Receiving a package addressed to your diabetic child from the hospital where she is treated is positively a negative sign, or so I thought. I managed to wait until I sat down next to Dustin before tearing it open, and I nearly cried as I grasped what fell into my lap. 2 boxes of testing strips, 25 each. Attached, a little post-it note reading, "Hope this helps, Fran".
 
These nurses, these wonderful ladies at Phoenix Children's Hospital must have heard it all. After speaking with Fran, she must have heard in my voice my desperation as a mother, why else would she have sent me these strips? I know the price wasn't out of her pocket, but the time she took to pass on such kindness, such thoughtfulness, is overwhelming to me. Someone in my life, someone I have met just once, has taken it upon herself to pay it forward. To me. The thanks I have for this small gift is monumentous, she has literally saved my bank account from overdrafting, my husband from having to find more overtime hours, and me from worrying how I'll supply my daughter with what she needs in a pinch.
 
I hope one day I can change the life of someone, if in such a simple way as this. I hope my "hello's" are noticed by some who needs a smile, my polite "thank-you's" are noticed by someone having a bad day, or my laughter brightens someone's heart. I will try my hardest to pass this along, I know there are plenty of others who need it as much as I did. In 1916, Lily Hardy Hammond wrote, "You don't pay love back; you pay it forward." I have plenty of love to give.
 
To say I was surprised would be an understatement.

1 comment:

  1. WOW Joli! That's all I can say. Amazing what kindness people have sometimes, why don't more show it? Thank you for sharing. You are so blessed because you do everything you can for your child. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete