The Smith's

The Smith's

February 07, 2011

Day 19 of the 30 Day Photo Challenge

Today, I had to choose a picture, and in that picture, someone to write a letter to. It was a hard choice, who would I want to write to, and what about? I spent most of my day thinking about it, and did my best to choose fairly.


Day 19 - A picture of and a letter to someone...




The photo I chose was of Dustin's mom, Grace, and his aunt, Edith. They are both beautiful ladies, but I've only had the pleasure of meeting one. Dustin's mom died long before we met, and Edith stepped in, not to replace Grace, but to raise Dustin as she would have wanted. I admire them both.


Grace,


There are so many things I wish I could share with you, so many moments I think of you, and we've never even met. It amazes me how deeply you can impact a person's entire life by just your presence, it's admirable. To say you have left big shoes to fill would be an understatement, you were such an outstanding woman, trying to be like you is impossible.

I want you to know, from deep inside my soul, that your son is in good hands. He always has been, and he will be forever. The family you surrounded yourself with was so tight knit, there was no doubt Dustin would be taken care of, and well. Your beautiful sister would never let your name be forgotten, or your ways. She continued to instill in him the values you did, and added a few of her own. Dustin thrives out here, with a job and a family of his own, you can see he draws his inspiration from you.  His worth ethic is strong, as is his compassion. He puts us all before himself, his selflessness could only have been learned from those just as selfless.

We have shared your rights as "Gamma" with Edith, I knew you wouldn't mind. She cares for these babies as if they were her own, if only we lived closer. There are so many "if only's", I try not to let my mind wander, but I'm sure you have felt the same. Your grand babies know about you, you mean far to much to Dustin for you to be forgotten. They are all doing well, growing like weeds, and looking more like you all the time.

I am thankful, so thankful, for the job you did with your son. He is one-of-a-kind, there's no other like him. The gratitude I feel for you only adds to the pain of knowing we'll never meet. There will be no gossiping over coffee, no shopping for baby outfits or baking your famous Christmas cookies together. I take so many photos of our family, I only hope one day they look back on them and thank me, as we don't have many of you. I wish I could call you to ask for advice, to just talk sometimes, I know our relationship would be great.

It's time for me to go, my family needs me. I hope one day you look down and smile, that you see what a good job I'm doing and that everyone is well taken care of. This isn't goodbye, it never is, it's just until next time.

All of my love,
Joli

No comments:

Post a Comment