The Smith's

The Smith's

March 25, 2011

Catching Up

The last few weeks things have been crazy. Buck wild. I might even say out of control. It's been such a whirlwind, I'm not sure I even know where to start. Let's try the beginning, that's always a good place.

My dad came to visit for 9 days. Yes, you read that correctly, 9 whole days. Anyone that knows me and my dad knows we love each other to death, from a distance. Living under the same roof puts a strain on our relationship I can't even begin to describe. It's almost like being a kid again, everything I do is being scrutinized under a microscope. It's not all one sided though, I feel as though I have to prove myself and go out of my way to show my independence. Frustrating is an understatement. We do always managed to have fun and pull it together by the end of his stay, and I'm sad to see him go. During this visit, we went to the park, the library, McDonalds, and spent plenty of hours reading books to the kids.

Last weekend, I went to the zoo with one of my friends. Early in the morning I left, taking just the girls with, and off we went. Cara picked us up, we stopped for coffee, and we were on our way. Aside from the hour and a half it took us to get there due to roads being closed and horrible traffic, the day went off flawlessly! We packed lunch for our kids to save money and time, and the kids really seemed to enjoy eating together. We chatted the entire afternoon about everything and nothing, it was refreshing to really have someone my age with similar problems and daily battles.

Getting back to our normal routine was a bit difficult after spring break, but this week has passed by smoothly and without any big hic-ups. Dustin had to work morning shifts Monday through Wednesday this week, and as much as I know he hated getting up early, I can say for certain the kids and I loved having him home for dinner all three days in a row! Helping with the bedtime routines, tucking the kids in bed at night, and talking about our day while we were both still awake and coherent was all icing on the cake for me.

Yesterday was such a big day for me, my best friend from high school, Tony, came to visit for the day! He and his boyfriend, Brian, were on their way to Sedona with Brian's family today so they flew in a day early to meet my family and spend some time catching up. Tony and I haven't seen each other in over 7 years, but seeing him yesterday felt like we picked up right where we left off. I drove out to Phoenix and picked the two up at the airport, stopped by the hotel to drop off their bags, and back to my house we went. Dustin and the kids were waiting for us when we came in, and everyone was so happy to finally meet and get to know each other. We looked through old photos and notes, and laughed about things we haven't let cross our minds in years. It was easy, fun, and everything I hoped it would be.

Dustin, Tony, Brian and I went to dinner at Boca de Beppo and it was divine! The drinks were delicious, the food was fantastic, and the cannolis were the best I've ever tasted! After dinner, we headed to Arriba's where Joanne joined us for drinks, and found after the first one they were closing. Bummer, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise! We found this seedy little gay bar called Lush and had the best time there! The music was loud, the drinks were smooth, and the conversation didn't stop for a second, and the camera was forever flashing! I can't wait to get my hands on those photos, but the camera was not mine, so I must wait.

Today, I dropped Tony and Brian off at the airport and said my goodbyes. My heart aches at the thought of another 7 years passing before I see them again, we both promised to be more diligent about keeping in touch. The miles and years have kept us apart this far, but that doesn't have to be the case. We are rock stars, and we have to stick together! I'm so glad this reunion took place, better late than never. It opened up my mind to memories I thought had long been forgotten, and my heart welcomed a new friend. I'm glad I met Brian, he's a great match for Tony. It's so great to see he has moved on with his life and grown with someone, but has still stayed the same Tony I love to death, can laugh with until my face hurts, and can still tell my whole life story to. Joanne fit right in like she's been there all along, it was better than I ever dreamed! What a great night we had!

1 comment:

  1. Awe, gotta love and cherish those short but sweet reunions!

    ReplyDelete