The Smith's

The Smith's

March 27, 2011

Joli's Journal Jar, Day 27

Conjuring up a lot of memories with today's post, it's so simple, yet so complex.


Write about the first place you ever remember living...


I lived in the same house from the time I was born until I turned 18. I never moved, never had to leave my friends, change schools, or adjust to a new room. It was so comforting, stable, and everything I ever needed. On the down side of never moving, I never had to make new friends, see a new places, or adapt to new surroundings. Sometimes, I wish I had those experiences growing up, but thinking back, I went through enough without having a move added to my list of things to bring me down.

Living in Saint Joseph, MI was pretty boring, so we had to make life fun. Growing up there, living in a city made up mostly of farming lands and beach, there was never much to do. I remember spending many, many days as a kid sitting inside reading, or up in a tree watching the neighborhood. Things were always good, nothing bad ever happened in there. You could bike to your friend's house or take a midnight walk and never have to worry about who might be around the corner. As I got older, I can recount endless hours driving around with friends, going out shopping or to grab a bite to eat, anything to break up the monotony.

The beaches were beautiful, even if they were crowded. I remember tourists from all over the country stopping by in the summer just to get a quick dip in the water or take photos of the lighthouse. Back then it used to bother me, but now, I can hardly blame them. It really is a beautiful place. Growing up there, I took it for granted, but the beauty is just astounding, I miss it often. It seemed like everyone knew your name, or someone in your family. The city of Saint Joseph itself was small, but it had many tiny cities around it that all seemed to blend together it was easy to forget exactly where you were. I remember if you were anywhere in Berrien County it was just easier to say you were in Saint Joe.

My house as a kid was average, but always seemed to be enough no matter who was there. When I was little, I remember there being four kids and two adults, my mom and dad, Mark, Dawn, Adam, and myself. As I grew, so did everyone else, and they started moving away. Mark moved out, Dawn went to college, and eventually Adam did too. My mom passed away and eventually just my dad and I were all that was left. The house never felt empty, or too full. Holidays were still spent at home, and as families started being born, there were more people than ever. I have so many memories of so many different times, some stand out more than others, and some I'd like to forget. Overall, the 18 years I spent there were pleasant and happy. Life is only what you make of it, and I think where I lived and those I surrounded myself with helped to make it pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment