The Smith's

The Smith's

March 03, 2011

Joli's Journal Jar, Day 3

Finally, after 2pm, I have found time to answer today's question from my Journal Jar! I love this, it's helping me to explore things that have been tucked away for years. Today's question is rather open-ended, so I'm going to answer it as best I can, even if that means you're getting 2 answers.

Favorite place you've lived...


For years, I complained about the snow, the lack of things to do, and the drama in that tiny little city. Now that I've been gone, I realize just what I've been missing. The snow might have been awful, but it sure was beautiful. There might not have been much in this little city, but Kalamazoo and South Bend were no more than 45 minutes away either direction. The drive I have to get decent groceries or go to dinner at a sit-down restaurant is at least a half hour, and I still complain. Drama isn't something you can move away from, it follows you. Certain people need it in their lives, they thrive off of it, and they find ways to bring it to your doorstep no matter how far away from them you move. Another thing about drama, it's everywhere. New people bring new drama. Michigan has so much beauty I used to take for granted. The beaches were so gorgeous, the smell of the water, the sand on my feet, the open air, for visitors it's breath-taking, and now, I'm a visitor. All that being said, I miss Michigan. I lived in the same house from when I was born until I was 18 years old, I have so many memories in that house, in that city, in that state. It's my favorite place I have lived.


Since this question was open-ended, I made a second choice. My other favorite place I have lived is this house pictured above. This is the first house we lived in here in Arizona, and the first house Dustin and I ever lived in together. We rented apartments in Michigan and Nevada, and he promised me we'd never go back to that life of struggling and pinching every penny to pay the rent. He found this house in Maricopa, the same city we live in now, and it was as close to my dream home as I could have asked for. It was 2400 square feet, 3 bedroom plus a den, it was perfect. The master bedroom had double doors, a huge walk-in closet, double sink, separete tub and shower. The pantry was bigger than my closet is now, the kitchen had more space than I could dream of filling, and the den was converted into a library full of my books. It was one of my favorite places to live, I love that house. We had the opportunity to buy it, but the price wasn't right, so we moved on. We still live in Arizona, still in Maricopa, just a smaller house more fit to our needs and our budget. One day, I will have the house of my dreams, but until then, this house will remain my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment