The Smith's

The Smith's

March 09, 2011

Doughnuts

Doughnuts. Yummy, delicious, fluffy, sweet doughnuts. I made them, and I don't mean to toot my own horn, but they turned out pretty darn spectacular! I didn't eat one, so I can't vouch for the taste, but the smell was divine. They were so simple, I could hardly believe myself. The worst part was waiting, they had to rest in the refrigerator for 8 hours before I was able to roll them out. I can't take all the credit though, The Pioneer Woman is where I found this recipe, and she rocks my world.

I bought a pound of yeast-yes, a pound-and I've been on a baking frenzy ever since. I have made cinnamon swirl bread, doughnuts, and today, white bread. Making the dough was simple with my Kitchen Aid mixer, and since I don't have a doughnut cutter, I used tupperware and a cookie cutter for the holes. My little fry daddy deep fryer did the trick to fry up those babies, it was awesome!

Doughnut after sitting out to rise
Frying them up!
Fried and ready to glaze
Draining the glaze off
Finished product, complete with heart holes!
I made 10 doughnuts, I'm sure I could have squeezed another 2 out to make a dozen, but I made them rather big. It was on my life of "things to accomplish", make doughnuts from scratch. My next feat, to make creme filled chocolate covered, those are Dustin's favorites! I ran out of powdered sugar, or I would have started those today. I may just wait until I finish up with this round of my diet though, maybe I'll be able to taste one next time!

I'm always looking for new recipes to try, new ideas to spice things up, or things that you wouldn't normally make at home. The Pioneer Woman is a great site, she makes some awesome dishes, and quite a few I plan to try. Any dishes that's your favorite, I'd love to sample at home! Bring on the recipes!

1 comment: